Mint 1 Debian Mate 32-bit

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 1 Debian Mate 32-bit

Post by Lessss »

The desktop seems to crash a lot more than XFCE and Cinnamon did on the same machine.

I was just creating a wine launcher when Caja closed and the desktop icons disappeared.

If I open mycomputer from the menu caja opens, but if I click desktop it immediately crashes.
I ended mate-desktop-settings and relaunched from terminal.

The software manager also give error saying unable to install, but if I click install again (multiple times on occasion) it works.

I replaced the screen saver, and wrote a script to replace the desktop wallpaper on a timer from a folder on an external drive.

Other than that it works well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 1 Debian Mate 32-bit

Post by Lessss »

So I tried DLing Cinnamon and XFCE. Cinamon wouldn't even make it to the desktop.
XFCE worked but the desktop icons wouldn't appear, although the menu was much faster to load at start.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

the desktop should appear if you enable 'show aplication icon' on the xfce setting. you should remember that xfce is a separated desktop so that you can't see your mate desktop icons.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

In XFCE
Actually the default icons aren't there.
and I can't seem to find "the desktop should appear if you enable 'show aplication icon' on the xfce setting."
Display also seems to have no option other than to mirror displays where mate allows multiple displays that are not a mirror.

This isn't as polished as Mint 17 XFCE.

For now I think I will stick to Mate. The Caja randomly crashing thing is tolerable for now.
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

Lessss wrote:The Caja randomly crashing thing is tolerable for now.
Debian Testing's current version 1.8.1-2 crashes almost as frequently as version 1.6.2-3+lmde.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Had a out of nowhere system slow down. So I closed everything and rebooted.

Mate-settings-daemon always seems to hang on logout/reboot. I reboot I suspect the Caja crashing is tied to Mate-settings-daemon I think.
When the system comes up the log in screen appears but the box to type in the password won't appear.
Reboot again boot into recovery cmd line and typed startx and XFCE loads not Mate. ??confused??
Interestingly the missing desktop icons that weren't there (that I mentioned above) were there now, as well as the bottom center screen dock.
Reboot again and this time the box does appear after a bit of a time delay.

Last time Caja crashed I tried launching it in terminal and it replied permission denied. Sudo was able to open it so in the crash it seems to lose permissions.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Ok I was playing an old dosbox game and out of nowhere my hd is constantly busy and the CPU is pegged so much the computer grinds to a crawl.
Opened top and see some stuff there that isn't usually there in the high CPU usage at the top like kworker and kswapd0 and marco.

Started killing processes to see what was causing it to no avail. Had to reboot. This has happened twice where suddenly without cause the system has been pegged. Previous time I was just browsing imgur.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

I was asleep and I heard my hard drive accessing like nuts. I turned on the screen, made sure I didn't have a backup running pulled up system monitor and Mate-settings- daemon was at 87% CPU and 2.5 gigs memory. I end tasked it and the hard drive access slowed and stepped (it respawned on it's own).

So it looks like mate-settings-daemon is the culprit.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Lessss wrote:Mate-settings- daemon was at 87% CPU and 2.5 gigs memory.
Might be an old systemd-related issue.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

I removed systemd and rebooted and issue is gone.

I suspect this is what killed my SSD.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Sound issues: mint keeps dropping hdmi sound and defaulting back to built in right in the middle of watching a vid file resulting in no sound from either hdmi or built in setting.
rebooting is the only way so far to restore sound. Simply changing the settings doesn't seem to do it. It seems to happen after 15 minutes? Screen saver related??
Last edited by Lessss on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Removed everything screen saver, still happening.
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

I think I'm going to dump mint. It seems Mint is getting caught up in the multiple desktop thing instead of getting one or two choices down pat and then keeping things up to date. The software manager is just loaded with out of date stuff and it's stuff that has been out of date for about a year now.

Return to “LMDE Archive”