Stop Nautilus from Auto Running at Start Up? [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
odo5435

Stop Nautilus from Auto Running at Start Up? [SOLVED]

Post by odo5435 »

(EDIT = On reflection, this problem would seem to be better suited to the 'Software and Applications' heading in LMDE - it can sometimes be confusing where to post. If a moderator agrees, it'd be appreciated if you would move this thread to that forum.)

After doing a fresh install of LMDE Xfce UP4 on my ASUS eee I changed the File Manager to Nautilus using Settings -> Preferred Applications (for no reason other than to see what it looked like). Ever since then a Nautilus window opens automatically every time we log in to a session. I am certain I made no changes to request this function, it just seems to have happened automatically. It persists even after I changed the preferred manager back to Thunar.

The settings below do not seem to mention Nautilus at all.
15.png
I think I've searched everywhere else and I can't seem to find anywhere in the GUI that mentions Start Up applications and I'm afraid my CLI skills are abysmal. Can anyone direct me to where I can change the settings to remove the automatic running of this unwanted window. I'd prefer not to have to remove Nautilus completely if possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
crborga

Re: How Do I Stop Nautilus from Auto Running at Start Up?

Post by crborga »

Have you already unchecked run Gnome Services in the Xfce session settings?
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

crborga wrote:Have you already unchecked run Gnome Services in the Xfce session settings?
Is this where you mean? If so, I'm pretty certain that it was never checked. I didn't want to run Gnome, I wanted Xfce.
19.png
crborga

Post by crborga »

odo5435 wrote:
crborga wrote:Have you already unchecked run Gnome Services in the Xfce session settings?
Is this where you mean? If so, I'm pretty certain that it was never checked. I didn't want to run Gnome, I wanted Xfce.
19.png
I see it is unchecked so what I would do make a simple script

Code: Select all

sleep 5
killall -9 nautilus
killall -9 caja
and add it to your startup
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Thanks for your reply crborga.
crborga wrote:so what I would do make a simple script
I understand most of what your script does but am curious. Why is the 'killall caja' command necessary? I've skimmed this too-techie-for-me webpage from which I interpret CaJa to be as harmless a piece of bloat as as most other stuff required to run modern systems. Will its removal cause problems with other programs trying to load at startup?
crborga wrote:and add it to your startup
Ahh, as Shakespeare would say, 'there's the rub'. Where is the startup file located so I can add the script? I'm fairly confident of being able to copy and paste your script into the file, but I'm afraid I'm going to need to be pointed in the right direction.

I'm not a total newb, but have a bad habit of my eyes glazinig over and nodding off to sleep whenever things too technical are being discussed.
crborga

Post by crborga »

From terminal do nano killnautilus.sh paste this

sleep 5
killall -9 nautilus
killillall -9 caja
exit
chmod +x killnautilus.sh
Then go into the Session and Startup (which you had in the screenshots) and click Add. Now just give it a description and command would be (assuming you have it in your home directory)

/home/yourusername/killnautilus.sh
save it and relog

Hope this helps
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Might be...
Got into session (when saved seem like auto-start app)

try...
1.check with task manager if any processes running nautilus (or caja)
2.if are kill process in task manager
3.in main menu>setting>session and start up under session tab re-save session (make sure not listed in list)
4. log-out (make sure 'save session box not checked)
5. log-back in

If still happening I'm out of ammo (try above script maybe) :cry:

J.Jay
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

Thank you crborga and jjaythomas for your replies. I decided to try jjay's solution first. I'd have been happy to try your method crb, but after so many years of enforced Windows usage I'm a GUI type of person these days even though I started my Personal Computing experience (many years ago) in a Unix environment. Also, I would have needed further clarification on the CaJa issue. No offence intended, but I'm reluctant to copy and paste any script, regardless of source, without understanding what they do. The kill-caja process may have happened in the background using jjay's GUI method but, hey, what I don't see doesn't hurt me (I hope).

As for the results, I followed jjay's instructons to the letter and they worked perfectly, well except that I left the System Monitor window open when I logged out and had to repeat the process to stop that from auto starting. :oops:

Which also gave me insight into how the situation arose. I must have had the Nautilus window open when I logged out and its been remembering it ever since (although I was sure I'd unchecked the Save Session box the first time I encountered it). But then, why didn't it show in the Session Start Up details??? No matter, problem solved and marked as such.
crborga

Re: Stop Nautilus from Auto Running at Start Up? [SOLVED]

Post by crborga »

Caja is the official file manager for the MATE desktop. It allows to browse directories, preview files and launch applications associated with them. It is also responsible for handling the icons on the MATE desktop. It works on local and remote filesystems.
http://mate-desktop.org/applications/

Script just issues the kill command to both just in case you had Mate. His method is probably better anyway as mine was kind of a dirty hack but it would have accomplished the same basically.
jjaythomas

Re: Stop Nautilus from Auto Running at Start Up? [SOLVED]

Post by jjaythomas »

Very Happy worked for you :D
Both answers are basically same, mine just prefers a GUI to CLI solution.

Had happen to someone else on forum already and that was problem.

P.S. not all session start-up show in the GUI (I not sure why :roll: ) if I add HPLIP-toolkit (qt app I know) it does but alarm-applet and cairodock (both GTK I think) don't, even if their???

J.Jay

P.S. you may want to check forum posts and change draw_dekstop setting, if planning to keep nautilus. May avoid later problems related to nautilus in XFCE. :wink:

J.Jay

Edit that a good method of 'shaving' some service type stuff (if you know for sure) from running in background. :idea:

Return to “LMDE Archive”