Forks: Compiz-MATE 0.8.8, mate-globalmenu 0.7.10 (LMDE)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jasmineaura

Re: Forks: Compiz-MATE 0.8.8, mate-globalmenu 0.7.10 (LMDE)

Post by jasmineaura »

HardyH wrote:Hello,
is there a way to get Compiz 0.8.8 to work under Mint 14 Mate?
Compiz 0.9 in Mint 14 is unity optimized and quite dysfunctional and incomplete in many aspects ( e.G. panel thumbnails broken, window animations broken, seems this is not needed/wanted by unity)), but the compiz 0.8.8 packages have some dependencies that seem not to be included in the fork ( compiz-core is one of them).
Any tips to get Compiz 0.8.8 back in Mint 14 MATE are highly appreciated
Hardy
For reference, this was fixed for Hardy by giving compiz-mate repo a higher priority (800) than linuxmint repo in /etc/apt/preferences
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... 3822#p3803
seroalbert wrote:I'm very new to linux, and I have difficulty in getting compiz fusion plugin and emerald, others is find, but the system keep saying that it cannot locate pacakge. Can anybody help me out?
No i386 packages. so if you're on i386 arch, either build all from source (apt-get source), or wait for the re-fork and rebuild of matepiz.
Myrmidon83 wrote:Are these 'fixed' or present in this fork? Also I think my compiz is a higher version than this, 0.9 something maybe.
0.9.x series is for unity. All 0.9.x series were buggy as hell, with 0.9.6 never officially released, and 0.9.7 considered first stable, just prior to Ubuntu LTR was announced.

0.8.8 is the latest version for non-unity-shtuff.
This fork is based off 0.8.8 of all packages, except CCSM which never updated past 0.8.4, but then also has simple-ccsm 0.8.8.
fati wrote:Does this have a chance of working in linux mint 14 cinnamon? as I cant find any other solution.
A temporary solution is to give this repo a higher priority than linuxmint repo in /etc/apt/preferences (aka apt pinning), to prevent apt from pulling 0.9.x packages from mint repos, which conflict with this fork.

Ex.

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: origin jas.gemnetworks.com
Pin-Priority: 800
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Known limitation in current binary (amd64) deb packages:
Cannot install compiz-mate on Mint 13 (main edition) due to:

compiz-mate : Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.9.0) but 2.8.0-3ubuntu9.1 is to be installed
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... 3824#p3807

No i386 build yet. Still busy working on MATE, to hopefully help land 1.6 in January. Once I'm at least done with Caja/mate-desktop/mate-settings-daemon, I will dedicate some time for the refork (Matepiz), builds for both amd64/i386, and separate builds for Ubuntu-based and Debian-based distros.
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

You are awesome thank you!
robinhooker

Post by robinhooker »

Hi, I am using Linux Mint 14 32bit. There is still no 32bit DEB packages, but I compiled by my self, refer to http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... 869&p=3824

some people said there is an error during compile mate-global-menu, you should edit the file confile from X86_86 to 32bit, please refer to the following:

robin@hpc ~/tmp/mate-global-menu/mate-globalmenu-0.7.10/debian $ cat libglobalmenu-mate.install
usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-*.so
robin@hpc ~/tmp/mate-global-menu/mate-globalmenu-0.7.10/debian $ cat libglobalmenu-mate.install.old 
usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-*.so
robin@hpc ~/tmp/mate-global-menu/mate-globalmenu-0.7.10/debian $ 
then run

debuild --no-lintian -us -uc
and I got what I want.
it runs perfectly on my Linux Mint 14 32bit.

hope you guys can understand my bad English.
irishwoody

Post by irishwoody »

Big thank you for this

have emerald / compiz / mate / mint 14 amd64 running

have alt f2 working

have burn and extra animations working

happy days :D :D :D
shideneyu

Post by shideneyu »

Hi !
Got a fresh install of Linux Mint 14 Mate, global menu works perfectly :D
However, I got no decoration with compiz and emerald installed :( Each time I click on "Windows Decoration", it unchecks 5 secs after.
I got this in the prompt (little quote):

A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/video/allscreens/yv12
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/speed
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/timestep
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/window_match
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/mipmap
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/saturation
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/brightness
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/opacity
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/bring_to_front
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/zoom
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/icon
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/minimized
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/screen0/auto_rotate
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/allscreens/next_button
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/allscreens/next_key
A handler is already registered for /org/freedesktop/compiz/switcher/allscreens/prev_button

And when I write "emerald --replace", it returns : "Segmentation fault"

What should I do :( ?
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

I'm very interested in this,since I'm using Compiz effects in MATE and have some issues with it (just for reference,posted here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=119179),my question are probably going to sound a bit dumb,however:
  • what is different in using this Compiz fork vs. using the current Compiz packages in LMDE repo ?

do I need to uninstall/completely purge my currently installed Compiz packages before adding this repo?

is it possible/advisable to back up my current compiz settings via the CCSM and then import them in the new Compiz installation ?
markino75

Post by markino75 »

Installed yesterday compiz 0.8.8 on Nadia 14 mate 1.4.2 on laptop HP DV6.
Seems to work fine for now.
werkman2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by werkman2 »

i have it installed in lm14, but even with window decoration checked i get no window borders
any help please?
shideneyu

Post by shideneyu »

I got the same problem, see three post before yours.

A temporary fix for me was to remove compiz completely, and also the repository and install the one which are already present in mint's repository; follow this tutorial : http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1148 ; Before that, I installed global menu in order to be able to have it even If I don't have the repo anymore =)
timk

Post by timk »

I recently installed Mint 14 / MATE and am running the compiz that came with it ... clearly there are some problems in that I can't change the window button arrangement or theme and things like that ... is this what I need? This is somewhat confusing ... I definitely do not want anything that puts a global menu at the top of the screen as are in these screenshots, I use MATE to get away from that ...

Installing compiz from here will solve the WM problems?

EDIT: Before installing make sure you've remove the package libdecoration0, otherwise you will still have the version from Mint's repo which will cause emerald and gtk-window-decorator to crash. I also needed to install emerald themes as well, or emerald would not start.
pins

Post by pins »

Is this fork dead?

I'd love to be able to install Compiz with Emerald but the repos referred to in this thread now seem incomplete and the speculated matepiz doesn't seem to have appeared as far as I can tell.

Compiz was one of the things that attracted me to 'nix in the first place and not withstanding the petulant arguments that went on regarding different branches it had some REALLY nice eye candy and added to my overall enjoyment of using 'nix.

I'm running Mint Mate 14 x64 so any pointers would be appreciated.
violent23

Post by violent23 »

pins wrote:Is this fork dead?

I'd love to be able to install Compiz with Emerald but the repos referred to in this thread now seem incomplete and the speculated matepiz doesn't seem to have appeared as far as I can tell.

Compiz was one of the things that attracted me to 'nix in the first place and not withstanding the petulant arguments that went on regarding different branches it had some REALLY nice eye candy and added to my overall enjoyment of using 'nix.

I'm running Mint Mate 14 x64 so any pointers would be appreciated.

Would love to know what is going on with this as well. It would be great to see a ppa made for this, or dare I dream a true fork and integration with the Mint repos. But I suppose that would make too much sense to finally have an integrated compositor for Mate that works with the built in theming app.

Post by 3.14159 »

I'm guessing that this fork is dead now since jasmineaura hasn't posted since Dec. 11 2012.

Yes, only a couple of months ago now... but still no response.

apt is unable to get anywhere for me when I follow the instructions.

$ W: Failed to fetch http://jas.gemnetworks.com/debian/dists/debian/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Personally, I am running Mint 14 x64 with MATE. This is just not working and all other tutorials for the official repo packages leads to non-working title bars and menus.
violent23

Post by violent23 »

3.14159 wrote:I'm guessing that this fork is dead now since jasmineaura hasn't posted since Dec. 11 2012.

Yes, only a couple of months ago now... but still no response.

apt is unable to get anywhere for me when I follow the instructions.

$ W: Failed to fetch http://jas.gemnetworks.com/debian/dists/debian/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Personally, I am running Mint 14 x64 with MATE. This is just not working and all other tutorials for the official repo packages leads to non-working title bars and menus.
I am using Mint 14 x64 with Mate and have this working fine, the code you listed does pop up, but just ignore it when installing and it will go away once the source from the OP is turned off after install.. The first thing you need to do is go into Synaptic and search for Compiz. Anything that shows as installed, uninstall it. Now that you have a clean slate go to the OP and add the key with the wget command. Then do the next step in the OP and add the sources. Now that the sources are added refresh them with the reload button in Synaptic, Now click on Settings, Repositories in Synaptic. Once in the software sources app go to other software and uncheck (remember what they are so you can turn them back on when you are done) every source other than the one added from the OP. Now that the only source that is selected is jas.gemnetworks go back to Synaptic and click the reload button again. Now search again for Compiz. The only Compiz packages that should show are the 0.8.8 versions. Install them. Once installed highlight all the installed Compiz packages and click Package in the menu and then Lock Version. You want to lock every Compiz package so they won't get updated in Synaptic when you turn the jas.gemnetworks source off. Once all the Compiz 0.88 packages are locked go back to Settings, Repositories and uncheck the jas.gemnetworks source and check all your original ones back on. Now open the Update Manager app. Once it updates your sources on opening it will show that you need to update Compiz and all it's packages. Right click on each Compiz package and select Ignore Updates for this package. Now Compiz will not be updated in Synaptic or Update Manager and you have the 0.8.8 version installed.
mintuser

Post by mintuser »

violent23 wrote:I am using Mint 14 x64 with Mate and have this working fine, the code you listed does pop up, but just ignore it when installing and it will go away once the source from the OP is turned off after install.. The first thing you need to do is go into Synaptic and search for Compiz. Anything that shows as installed, uninstall it. Now that you have a clean slate go to the OP and add the key with the wget command. Then do the next step in the OP and add the sources. Now that the sources are added refresh them with the reload button in Synaptic, Now click on Settings, Repositories in Synaptic. Once in the software sources app go to other software and uncheck (remember what they are so you can turn them back on when you are done) every source other than the one added from the OP. Now that the only source that is selected is jas.gemnetworks go back to Synaptic and click the reload button again. Now search again for Compiz. The only Compiz packages that should show are the 0.8.8 versions. Install them. Once installed highlight all the installed Compiz packages and click Package in the menu and then Lock Version. You want to lock every Compiz package so they won't get updated in Synaptic when you turn the jas.gemnetworks source off. Once all the Compiz 0.88 packages are locked go back to Settings, Repositories and uncheck the jas.gemnetworks source and check all your original ones back on. Now open the Update Manager app. Once it updates your sources on opening it will show that you need to update Compiz and all it's packages. Right click on each Compiz package and select Ignore Updates for this package. Now Compiz will not be updated in Synaptic or Update Manager and you have the 0.8.8 version installed.
Thanks a bunch, installed and somehow working but I still have problem: I don't have any window decoration
tried to check gtk window decorator with compiz fusion icon successlessly.
Tried "gtk-window-decorator --replace" in terminal but it gave me "Segmentation error"
Any hint?
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Great work thanks :D :D Knowing that the Compiz maintainer is not willing to cooperate on porting Compiz to Wayland (or any other X.org replacement) and that Canonical is going to drop Compiz, I think Linux Mint should think of the future of Mate DE and include this fork of compiz in its repository and/or including it as a default application on its future releases with fusion icon preinstalled to kick it in.. If you like the idea please promote at http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3889
art7ir

Post by art7ir »

Guys,

Finally I was able to install compiz 0.8.8 under Linux Mint 14 (MATE) using Jasmine's Debian Repository.
There were two problems that had to be solved:

If window-decorations are not working:
The probem is caused by a wrong version of the libdecoration0 library (because the dependencies aren't listed correctly). To solve this do a

sudo apt-get purge libdecoration0
before installing compiz from Jasmine's repository. (If I remeber correclty. Anyway, libdecoration0 from Jasmine's repository should be installed!)

There is a second little problem, namely that apt-get is complaining like

To get rid of this warning message, simply state in your sources.list explicitly that you are using only the amd64 architecture (regarding this repo):

deb [arch=amd64] http://jas.gemnetworks.com/debian debian main
deb-src [arch=amd64] http://jas.gemnetworks.com/debian debian main
ps:
Do not forget to give this repository higher priority in your /etc/apt/preferences (as mentioned before in this thread):

Package: *
Pin: origin jas.gemnetworks.com
Pin-Priority: 800
mintuser

Post by mintuser »

art7ir wrote:If window-decorations are not working:
The probem is caused by a wrong version of the libdecoration0 library (because the dependencies aren't listed correctly). To solve this do a

sudo apt-get purge libdecoration0
before installing compiz from Jasmine's repository. (If I remeber correclty. Anyway, libdecoration0 from Jasmine's repository should be installed!)
Dear sir, you just won all my internets.
RC Da Kookee

Post by RC Da Kookee »

So how do I tile windows? Everything else is working except that (actually it's fine if I use keyboard but can't drag it around to tile).

Return to “LMDE Archive”