Default screen resolution changed for only one of the users

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
desert69

Default screen resolution changed for only one of the users

Post by desert69 »

Hi everyone.

I'm running LMDE 64bits in my notebook, using MATE and almost everything "default" - ask me if you think it's important to check *anything*, but don't remember changing nothing "important" like the window manager, or those.

A couple weeks ago I've tried running Commandos: Beyond the enemy lines, a Windows game from 1998, I think, under Crossover Office. While it was starting, screen resolution changed (it's a full screen game, as most of them), and then it seemed to hang or something like that, so I killed the game.

The problem is, after that, the resolution didn't restore to the original 1366x768 - it stayed at 800x600.

I thoght restarting the X server would do the trick, but nope - every time I log in, the resolution is at 800x600.

If I log in with another user (or even before login, while the boot messages are shown, or the login window - ¿mdm?), the resolution is OK at 1366x768. Even after login, I run "xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1366x768" and the resolution applies OK. But whenever I close the session and log in again, the resolution is at 800x600.

I've made some attempts of grep'ing all my home directory looking for a "800" string, but, well... it's not very happy to do that :)

Does anyone know where that "800x600" default is saved? Any idea of how to get it back to the 1366x768 resolution?

Someone suggested me to make the xrandr line run automatically on login, but it's too much patchy - I think it even makes troubles with the position of buttons and applets in the mate panel.

I read about creating a xorg conf file, but I don't really know where to put it, nor how to write one. Still seems patchy, also - I think I'd have to *delete or modify* some file/place where that 800x600 overrides the "natural default" of 1366x768 - but seems less horrible than scripting a xrandr command.

Any advise you could give me, I'll be very thankful.

(After running xrandr command)

Code: Select all

01:37:36~ inxi -Fx
System:    Host mintdebian Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium B950 (-MCP-) cache 2048 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) bmips 8382.44 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 800.00 MHz (2) 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.12.4 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile  GLX Version 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 JMicron Corp. JMC250 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver jme v: 1.0.8 at ports d100 d000 BusID: 03:00.0
           Card-2 Realtek RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller driver rtl8192se at port e000 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (50.9% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HN 500.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 97G used: 13G (14%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 97G used: 13G (14%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/home size: 282G used: 238G (89%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 6.45GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 157 Uptime 1:06 Memory 1119.7/5895.5MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Default screen resolution changed for only one of the us

Post by caf4926 »

It sounds to me that this is user specific
So don't waste your time with xorg.conf

It can be really tricky finding the culptit
Worst case... You have to backup that users files, delete the user (incl. all settings) and recreate them and put the files back. But it will need or crossover / wine stuff re-doing
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
desert69

Post by desert69 »

I agree thinking it's user specific - every other instance of the system where I'm not in my user's X session works at 1366x768 by default.

Even if I create a new user, it's resolution is 1366x768.

I thought there maybe was a Xorg.conf file for each user that overrides parts of a global Xorg.conf, but was just guessing. I didn't find anything yet.

And, if scripting a xrandr command seems patchy, re-creating my user seems really really an extreme overkill.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Have you checked if anything is added to auto start?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
desert69

Post by desert69 »

I'm not sure what you are refering to.

If it's what shows at the "Startup Applications" option in the Preferences menu, I don't see anything strange to me, but I really don't know what to search for.

Is that what you're refering to? Could you tell me more specifically how to list the things you say?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Specifically in

~/.config/autostart

But I'm stabbing in the dark. I guess you trolled thru the hidden files/folders?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
desert69

Post by desert69 »

Nothing strange at all...

Code: Select all

02:43:21~ cat ~/.config/autostart/*

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=checkgmail -no_cookies -numbers
Hidden=false
X-MATE-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=CheckGMail
Name=CheckGMail
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=GNOME Do
Type=Application
Exec=gnome-do
Terminal=false
Icon=gnome-do
Comment=Do things as quickly as possible (but no quicker) with your files, bookmarks, applications, music, contacts, and more!
Categories=Utility;
Hidden=false

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=maximus
Hidden=false
X-MATE-Autostart-enabled=true
Name[en_US]=Maximus
Name=Maximus
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=

I've tried grepping any dotfile in my home directory searching for "800", but without success - lots of false positives, I gave up before finishing.

I've used gconf-editor's search, but the only "800" match wasn't what I needed.

And maximus was installed and autostarting before this problem, it doesn't have anything with it, I think...

Return to “LMDE Archive”