power manager not running?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Riko

power manager not running?

Post by Riko »

Dear all,

I'm running LMDE with both Cinnamon and gnome-shell. In both cases, there seems to be no power management available. Neither can I configure it through the setting (see screenshot) nor is there an applet in the panel showing me the battery status.

I'm sure, it was working at one point, however can't tell when and how it stopped. gnome-power-manager is installed. I'm kind of at a loss where to look. Any suggestions?

Thanks and cheers,

Riko
power-setting.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Riko

Re: power manager not running?

Post by Riko »

Hi again,

the problem seems to be related with the acpi battery module of the kernel. Even though it seems loaded, when I look for it in lsmod, acpi reports nothing when executed on the command line.

However, when I

Code: Select all

sudo rmmod battery
sudo insmod /path-to-acpi-modules/battery.ko

it loads, acpi reports the status of the battery and the battery applet / extension appears after a few seconds. Of course, I could just do a little start-up script to do the above steps, but that should not be necessary. I wonder which other acip modules don't load properly without me noticing it.

I tried to add "battery" to /etc/modules. No difference! I also played with some acpi kernel boot parameters, no difference. Tried that with the "standard" LMDE kernel 3.2 and the debian experimental kernel 3.8, same thing. :(

I have a dual boot with Bodhi on the machine. There acpi works as expected, so it's probably not a BIOS issue.

Anyone can hint me into the prope direction?

Thanks and cheers, Riko
Kootee

Post by Kootee »

I still have the same problem on newest Linux Mint KDE. Has anyone found a solution?
Riko

Post by Riko »

I actually added the above lines to a script which is executed at startup.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Kootee wrote:I still have the same problem on newest Linux Mint KDE. Has anyone found a solution?
You are aware that this thread is about Linux Mint Debian Edition? Not about Linux Mint 15 or 16 or 17 which are based on Ubuntu?
You are also aware that this thread had been sleeping for more than a year which makes adding a simple "me too" post pretty pointless as a rule.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Riko.
Riko wrote:I actually added the above lines to a script which is executed at startup.
This suggests that more than a year after opening this thread you have not come across a permanent solution, yet.
I'm sorry, I do not use LMDE. I have not yet encountered the same problem, so I will not be able to offer any helpful piece of advice. :(

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Riko

Post by Riko »

No, but I also did not dig to extensively as I had a working solution with the start-up script. Motivation was low to find a proper solution to it :)

Cheers!
tonycstech

Post by tonycstech »

Mine works but what ever its designed to do its not doing.
My option for power button is set to shut down immediately, but when i press it, it asks me for what to do.
Any fix for that ?
Why Liniux eing tested on virtual machines so much, why not on real hardware. Thats the SOURCE of the problem when it comes to things not working the way they were intended to.

Please advice.
Thanks !
tonycstech

Post by tonycstech »

Dont bother, its cinamon issue. KDE works just fine

Return to “LMDE Archive”