[SOLVED] Nemo, background cycling on startup

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
malias

[SOLVED] Nemo, background cycling on startup

Post by malias »

Whenever I log in to my Xfce environment, Nemo opens and my background image cycles through three or four images before stopping. I've checked the Application Autostart list under Session and Startup and Nemo wasn't listed so I'm not sure why it's starting.
As for my background image, I have Xfce set up to read my backgrounds from an image list. However, the images are not set on a timed cycle so the background should only change on login. Any idea about what is going on?

Both of these are minor annoyances, but I'd really like to figure what's causing them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Nemo, background cycling on startup

Post by karlchen »

Hello, malias.

A note on your assumption
I've checked the Application Autostart list under Session and Startup and Nemo wasn't listed so I'm not sure why it's starting.
  • All startup applications can be found in the folder /etc/xdg/autostart. Each .desktop file is one potential startup application.
  • Each startup application may be active, i.e. it will be launched automatically, or it may be inactive.
  • Each startup application may be visible inside the Startup Application list or it may be hidden. This property is controlled by the parameter NoDisplay=False (visible) or NoDisplay=True (hidden).
  • Here is a commandline to make all autostart entries visible inside the Startup Application list:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
  • When you launch Startup Applications you will notice that the list of displayed items is much longer than before.
  • The little check mark left of each entry [X] decides whether an autostart item will be launched automatically (check mark ticked) or not (check mark unticked). So you can disable/enable autostart entries by unticking/ticking their check marks. - Leave items alone in case you do not know what they do.
  • I bet Nemo will be in the list of active autostart entries, else your desktop would be empty. Only before running the commandline given above it had been hidden.
A note on your statement
I have Xfce set up to read my backgrounds from an image list.
Sorry. I have never configured such a list on my xfce system. So I cannot advise on thise issue at the moment.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
malias

Re: Nemo, background cycling on startup

Post by malias »

Thanks for the reply. So, I ran the sed command you posted and Nemo now shows in the Application list, but it shows up disabled and it's still starting on login.

For my background image, I set it to a single image and watched what happened. It looked like the wallpaper was swapping between my background and a specific wallpaper. After determining this, I checked the other desktop environments I have installed, set each background to a unique wallpaper, and logged backed into xfce. I discovered that when xfce starts it's swapping between the background image set in xfce and the one set in gnome/cinnamon. Now, why would it be clashing with xfce?

Edit

Nevermind, I think I got it figured out. A while back a shut down xfce with some applications open, including Nemo. And, when you start xfce, it starts all the applications that were running when it shut down, so that's why it was happening. I simply killed Nemo, restarted, and problem solved. I still don't know why that would have been affecting my desktop background image, but whatever.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo, background cycling on startup

Post by karlchen »

Hello, malias.

Ha, might have occurred to me earlier:
xfce uses Thunar by default. Thunar will want to handle the desktop, which is correct. So Thunar somehow is responsible for displaying the wallpaper.
Depending on how you launched Nemo, Nemo will have felt like handling the desktop as well, which means Nemo started to interfere with your wallpapers , too.
(By the way, "nemo --no-desktop" will launch Nemo and tell it not to try and handle your desktop. - Just looked it up by running "man nemo".)

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Domingo Medina

Post by Domingo Medina »

nano /etc/xdg/autostart/
edit /etc/xdg/autostart/and either:

remove the NoDisplay=true lines;
or make those same lines comments by adding # in front of them;
or replace true by false in those same lines.

The third solution can be easily done in three steps:

Summon the terminal with Ctrl + Alt + T.
Type the two following commands:

cd /etc/xdg/autostart/ sudo sed --in-place 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' *.desktop
After changing anything you want, you can go back to the previous state by typing this into the terminal:

sudo sed --in-place 's/NoDisplay=false/NoDisplay=true/g' *.desktop 
source: http://namhuy.net/388/how-do-i-addremov ... tions.html
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Domingo Medina.

This thread had already been marked as [Solved].
The correct solution had been post here.
The correct commandline reads

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
Why the heck did you have copy and paste the crap that this guy posted in his blog here as a solution?
Wrong:

nano /etc/xdg/autostart/

cd /etc/xdg/autostart/ sudo sed --in-place 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' *.desktop
Correct:

sudo nano /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

sudo sed --in-place 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop
Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
malias

Post by malias »

So, I ran into a similar problem with caja and I'm posting the solution here for future reference. Again, there was a conflict between xfwm and another window manager. When I tried to kill caja it would just restart immediately. After some searching, I found the solution.

In Settings -> Session and Startup -> Session, caja was in my session and was set to restart immediately if closed. What I did was Quit Program for caja and clicked Save Session. Conflict resolved.

Return to “LMDE Archive”