[SOLVED] Gnome Shell

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Windowsfree2013

[SOLVED] Gnome Shell

Post by Windowsfree2013 »

I am thinking of installing LMDE, I have the MATE edition, and wanted to know, what is the easiest way to install the latest Gnome Shell desktop.

thank you for your responses.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Gnome Shell

Post by xenopeek »

Probably the easiest way to get Gnome Shell full functional, with default applications, is with:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends gnome-shell gnome-session

But, that gets you GNOME 3.8.4 as a newer version isn't available on LMDE. Compared to GNOME 3.14, that's a poorer experience. You could possibly use Debian testing repository to get newer version of GNOME, but that may break things as LMDE repository is months out of sync with Debian testing.

If you must have the latest GNOME, you could consider installing Debian testing (in a virtual machine; in dual-boot; or to replace LMDE). exploder had a good experience with Debian testing and latest GNOME recently: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=180758. Debian Jessie is of course lacking the Mint tools that make LMDE easy to maintain, so might not be a trade-off you're willing to make.
Windowsfree2013

Re: Gnome Shell

Post by Windowsfree2013 »

Thanks, I am going to try it out with Fedora 20 Gnome and see how that goes. I tried Debian 7.x and had issues getting the video working. I have Fedora 19XFCE running on an old Gateway and that is flawless, so I will try out the Gnome version on my newer laptop and see if this is what I want. Thanks again.

Return to “LMDE Archive”