disappearing gnome-panel on LMDE/32

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Habitual

disappearing gnome-panel on LMDE/32

Post by Habitual »

LMDE/32.

I had Skype 2.1.0.81-1 installed from the REPO(s), however since uninstalling it this issue is no longer present.
Here's the symptoms.

When installed and running, If I choose to "close" (to system tray) it crashes my gnome-panel and I am forced to restart metacity with a desktop launcher for "metacity --replace." That restores it.
Any Item (Except my added Logout and Shutdown applets) that I choose to close with the X bombs the panel.
Installing the same version as a download from Skype now exhibits this behavior also... God, I love/hate my Job!

Here's the .xsession-errors file dump before I uninstalled Skype.

Code: Select all

/etc/gdm3/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-KFDddS
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-KFDddS/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-KFDddS/ssh

** (gnome-settings-daemon:2620): WARNING **: Invalid value for /desktop/gnome/font_rendering/rgba_order: 'rgba'
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/jj2/.config/metacity/sessions/104dd200398a8d311e129528609134188300000025720031.ms: Failed to open file '/home/jj2/.config/metacity/sessions/104dd200398a8d311e129528609134188300000025720031.ms': No such file or directory

** (gnome-settings-daemon:2620): WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.
x-session-manager[2572]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'docky.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "docky" (No such file or directory)
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Crypto/Util/randpool.py:40: RandomPool_DeprecationWarning: This application uses RandomPool, which is BROKEN in older releases.  See http://www.pycrypto.org/randpool-broken
  RandomPool_DeprecationWarning)
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2668): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2668): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
Any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Update: Firing up seahorse and right mouse clicking "Passwords: login" and "Set as Default" seems to have corrected this issue.
I got the clue from "** (gnome-settings-daemon:2620): WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them."
the them? Really? :?

Comments and suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

Update: Not solved by "Set as Default" in seahorse.
I am using another "theme" however under Control Center > Appearance and it seems ok, for now.

Stand by for an update.
Thanks for listening.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: disappearing gnome-panel on LMDE/32

Post by seeley »

HI!
One of the first things I do is adding TERMINAL to desktop, because my lower panel disappeared several times on different distributions. So I could run on GNOME Desktop, of course:

Code: Select all

killall gnome-panel
After
... delete?...
I agreed and it worked again.
Once I had to "Add to panel" one of the other menus.
seeley

Return to “LMDE Archive”