How to freeze normal user's work-space (LMDE)?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Eko_taas

How to freeze normal user's work-space (LMDE)?

Post by Eko_taas »

On Living room Media-pc (auto login) I tought to simplify usage a bit - e.g. minimize # of icons and remove "admin"-related icons from Mintmenu)

After everything is OK, I would like to freeze "design" so that e.g. kids cannot mess-up. e.g.:
- Desktop settings should not be changable (right-hand botton)
- Sound prefs. fixed
- New SW icons should not be added (as used by MainUser only, like Unetbootin, Grsync)

I looked thru User permissions already, but could not figure out where/what/why. Any ideas (LM / Gnome stil prefared if easy to handle)? I have looked LM9, LM10 and LMDE, but all looks to be (on this issue) the same...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: How to freeze normal user's work-space (LMDE)?

Post by viking777 »

I think this can only be done with multiple user profiles.

For example if you open gconf-editor and go to the desktop section there is a configuration entry called 'lockdown' which might be part of what you are looking for (sadly it is not very comprehensive so I don't think it will do everything you want). For example it allows you to stop users from accessing the command line (or run dialog). The problem with that is that if you only have one user then it will prevent you from accessing the command line as well. Therefore you would have to have a second account where these conditions are not active or you would not be able to modify the desktop yourself. I have never used is so I don't know exactly how good or bad it is, but as I said you will need a second 'administrator' account that only you can access.
Eko_taas

Re: How to freeze normal user's work-space (LMDE)?

Post by Eko_taas »

Thanks, have to try when possible.

Several users (e.g. 2 x normal and admin (+root) ) not a problem as machine will anyhow auto-login in that case "reduced" account and others used for administrative issues only (access behind psw).

Return to “LMDE Archive”