Shade effect with scroll wheel in LMDE - How?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hurinth

Shade effect with scroll wheel in LMDE - How?

Post by hurinth »

Hello,

I have been reading several posts about modifying the mouse action in gwd to achieve the shade effect of rolling the window up to the title bar, but all of them referring to ubuntu based systems.

I am using LMDE and so far have only been able to double-click on the title bar to roll up the window. What other setting am I missing to be able to scroll with the mouse wheel instead?

Thanks in advance,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hurinth

Re: Shade effect with scroll wheel in LMDE - How?

Post by hurinth »

Hey, just to update, it seems like Mint itself could be the one holding a setting somewhere that prevents the mouse wheel to work. This person was able to activate the feature with the scrollwheel but using plain Debian:

http://blog.netflowdevelopments.com/201 ... in-debian/

Doesn't anybody else find useful to roll up the window with just such a little and fast finger movement? :lol:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

as you can from the link you provided, that feature isn't enabled in plain debian either, but apparently it's easy to do so (it's in link)
open up gconf-editor(type gconf-editor in term) and that will pop up the GUI for editing gconf. Go into /apps/gwd and you see where it says ‘mouse_wheel_action’ and the field to the right of it says ‘none’ ? Yea, well double click on the none and replace the word ‘none’ with the word ‘shade’
hurinth

Post by hurinth »

No, that setting doesn't work in my LMDE, thats why I said its probable that Mint native theming constraints the option somehow. I would like to know what could that be.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

do you have compiz enabled? works here
Screenshot-3.png
hurinth

Post by hurinth »

My gconf looks exactly as yours, you can be sure of that.

I haven't installed the compiz advanced settings manager, but I am not sure if that is what enables compiz. How would I check if it is?

Thanks
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, if you haven't installed or enabled compiz in your system, chances are that it is not working (because it doesn't come enabled out-of-the-box in lmde)
let's start with your graphics card info

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
and have a look here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/168
hurinth

Post by hurinth »

Thank you,

I checked the other link. Here is the output

hurin@asfaloth ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card nVidia G80 [GeForce 8800 GTS] X.Org 1.10.4 Res: 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3 Direct Rendering Yes
Going to try alt-f2 and then compiz --replace
hurinth

Post by hurinth »

No luck:

hurin@asfaloth ~ $ compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

Launching fallback window manager
Window manager warning: "" found in configuration database is not a valid value for keybinding "switch_to_workspace_1"
Window manager warning: "" found in configuration database is not a valid value for keybinding "cycle_windows"

Return to “LMDE Archive”