[Solved] shutdown, restart from GDM doesn't work

[Solved] shutdown, restart from GDM doesn't work

Postby Riko on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi all,

I have Gnome 3.8 installed from Debian Sid. Most of that runs just fine, however I have a problem with the login screen of gdm. When I run my machine at work, it sits in a docking station with a wireless mouse and keyboard connected. Often, the keyboard will not connect on boot to gdm (does work for grub, though), so I cannot enter my password. Mouse works! This can easily be fixed by just restarting the laptop. However, the restart/shutdown buttons on the login screen don't do anything. I can select but nothing happened.

So only thing to do is a hard reset which I don't like to do. Anyone has any idea how to fix the buttons (or even better fix the keyboard issue:)

Thanks and cheers, Riko

PS: The not_connected_keyboard_problem I already had under the default LMDE gnome 3.4. But at least restart/shutdown worked then :)
Last edited by Riko on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
dual boot: LMDE and Antergos both running gnome-shell
surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS 10 and Crossover 13
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: shutdown, restart from GDM doesn't work

Postby Riko on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:57 am

Those entries work when using systemd as service startup system. I had to switch to make suspend-on-lid-closed work and discovered that the restart/shutdown entries started to work again on the GDM3 login screen.
Dell Latitude E6230 with Intel i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD
dual boot: LMDE and Antergos both running gnome-shell
surviving in a Windows world with VMware WS 10 and Crossover 13
Riko
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Others