Unity and Leadwerks game engines in Linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Unity and Leadwerks game engines in Linux

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Hello everyone. So like, I am a big on development of games. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Unity (free version) to create a Linux standalone game. I will try it later today, once I get some serious bugs in my current project ironed out. Also, has anyone here heard of or tried Leadwerks? It's available only steam AFAIK, but for $100 and a supposedly royalty-free license, I might pickup a copy of it. With Leadwerks, you can stay in Linux and develop games for Linux. The same cannot be said for Unity. With Unity, you have to build a standalone linux version from within a Windows/Mac environment. Also, Unity is EXPENSIVE for the Pro version ($1,500) and has a somewhat strange license.

All in all, has anyone tried using either game engine? If so, what are your thoughts? I personally think that Leadwerks is going to be my engine of choice once I get enough cash to buy it.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say on this topic!
Running on ancient hardware and a now super-charged linux only laptop. :D
Windows free since September 4th, 2014 @ 19:47 Mountain standard time.
JohnBobSmith
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unity and Leadwerks game engines in Linux

Postby Mangar on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:49 pm

Let me know too, I am trying to see if a few guys will try modding a game add on in Linux at another site. kind of curious what to bring back to them?
Life after Windows! the future looks MINT!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
Mangar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:37 pm

Hello mangar,
I will try running the standalone version of my game here soon. Unity is being a royal pain at the moment. I do think that leadwerks would be the better engine of choice. However, there does not appear to be a whole lot of people with experience using it, and it doesnt have a free version. That said, $100 is very reasonable for a fully featured engine that will run natively in Linux. All in all, let your guys from another site know that leadwerks may be worth purchasing. Depends on the game they want to make too. Hopefully it works out for them! :)
JohnBobSmith
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Mangar on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:26 pm

I am a fan and gamer of the X series like the-x-universe, It has it own growing pains with X-rebirth. But watch linux on steam and there are some engine coming soon I will have to grab that post from the other site. There are a load of modelers and srcipters for its past games. I know some were complaining which OS engine to use and porting problems to PS, That is over my head. But I have to ask the guys where it is at for now?

I figured bring back a linux engine that the guys could mod thier own game VS mod script addons all the time!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
Mangar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Mangar on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 pm

JohnBobSmith wrote:Hello everyone. So like, I am a big on development of games. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Unity (free version) to create a Linux standalone game. I will try it later today, once I get some serious bugs in my current project ironed out. Also, has anyone here heard of or tried Leadwerks? It's available only steam AFAIK, but for $100 and a supposedly royalty-free license, I might pickup a copy of it. With Leadwerks, you can stay in Linux and develop games for Linux. The same cannot be said for Unity. With Unity, you have to build a standalone linux version from within a Windows/Mac environment. Also, Unity is EXPENSIVE for the Pro version ($1,500) and has a somewhat strange license.

All in all, has anyone tried using either game engine? If so, what are your thoughts? I personally think that Leadwerks is going to be my engine of choice once I get enough cash to buy it.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say on this topic!

Hey JohnBobSmith, are you part of any opensource game engine groups making games or game mods? I am curious if you or other mod games in Linux. I am looking to get permission to open an area on the forum site I help Moderate.
I think it would be a good step to pool game some game coders to group/team up having a place to put out some games. As far as I know a good portion of the members are space flight combat heads with end of the line XP hardware. That makes a good opportunity to let some creative groups/teams together what they can do with old free engines.

However there are a top group of veteran coders that do heavy mods in the high end 3d mods for existing games. IF Linux game release gets high scores it might be eye catching to those upper level members.

I just started the talks over there and seeing what kind of response I might get, and if permission to get a Linux group going over there also.

So do you or any others know Linux game engine users open or pay engines? do they have or need a home?
Mangar
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JohnBobSmith on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Hello Mangar,
I am not currently part of any mod team, nor do I have any ongoing projects. However, I would be interested in joining a team, if thats what you are asking. I would really need to talk to possible team members before I could make a final decision. Also, it would be best if the game engine we were to use would be completely free, or paid for and fully featured/licensed. I do think leadwerks would be the best engine to use. It comes with a $300 USD or so "Indie edition" with 4 copies of the software to send to 3 people (yourself + 3). Having used Unity, I find that it is not the best engine out there, with things like the expensiveness of the pro version and the licensing issues factored in. A completely free and open source engine would be the idtech4 "Doom 3" engine. However, we would need some serious programmers to even begin working with that engine, let alone the other aspects of game design.

All in all, I would love to join a modding team. Right now, I have a little bit of experience doing everything (sound, art, programming, level design) however my area of interest would be art and programming. I hope to hear back from you in the near future! :)
JohnBobSmith
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Mangar on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:46 pm

I PM'd you, either way the main developer is making a LINUX release of the latest game. So I kind of see Linux MOD volunteers might come in handy and desired if more Devs start pushing more LINUX code.
There are tons of members that have mod groups making MODs for most all versions anyway. They were mainly WIN users but found out we had a few Linux in the group that never spoke up :)
Mangar
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Gaming on Linux Mint