Steam on Linux Mint 13

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tompa

Steam on Linux Mint 13

Post by tompa »

Hi all,

I got both Killing floor and Half Life (Beta) working on a Linux Mint xfce 64 bit pc with the native Steam client as of jan 26. 2013
but when I try Penumbra:Overture the following pops up in a terminal:

Library Missing: libGLU.so.1
./penumbra.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Game removed: AppID 22180 "Penumbra: Overture", ProcID 3888
saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'
roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Any ideas?
Cheers
Toby
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Steam on Linux Mint 13

Post by xenopeek »

It may be a 32-bit program, as libGLU.so.1 is installed by default on Linux Mint 13 64-bit. If that is the case, installing the ia32-libs-multiarch package will install 32-bit versions of common libraries needed by 32-bit programs on your computer. I think also this one. Alternatively, you may explicitly only install a 32-bit version of this library. For that, install the package libglu1-mesa:i386.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Have you tried installing the Windows steam via Wine ? Ive had quite some success running both. the Windows version i had to tweak a bit to get it running smoothly, there is a whole section in WineHQ on how to's, well worth the effort of reading those.
tompa

Post by tompa »

Thanks for the advice, I got it working :)
Installing ia32-libs-multiarch solved it. But out of curiosity, shouldnt the package from Steam "steam_latest.deb" take care of the dependencies? It did some dependencies checking but I dont remember what it installed...

Thanks again,
cheers
T
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's not a dependency for the Steam client. Just for the game you are playing. I'm not sure how or where you should report it; the announcement for the Steam client beta for Linux only mentions reporting bugs for the Steam client (http://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/ ... 3332716773).

Return to “Gaming”