Steam for Linux celebration sale

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Steam for Linux celebration sale

Post by xenopeek »

As reported by Web Upd8, Valve is celebrating Steam for Linux with discounts for a week of -50% to -80% on titles available for Linux: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/linux_release/. Pretty awesome :D I'm having a look at titles, there's probably something fun to pick up for a few bucks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anandrkris

Re: Steam for Linux celebration sale

Post by anandrkris »

Yes, Amazing news. Very encouraging. :D Steam is finally out of beta and in available for download in ubunutu Software Centre.

Plus
Through the end of the month, play the Free-To- Play Team Fortress 2 on Linux and get a free Tux item in-game.
dogsolitude_uk

Post by dogsolitude_uk »

Great stuff! Just picked up Penumbra collector pack for £3.50, less than the price of a bottle of wine :D
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Guys - Steam community is buzzing with activity and noticed that many newcomers are facing issues in installation, driver issues, get games working,etc.
One humble request - Pls hang around Steam Community discussion forums.
fig_wright

Post by fig_wright »

I cant see "steam" in Mint software centre yet. Why is this? My system:

more /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="12.04.2 LTS, Precise Pangolin"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu precise (12.04.2 LTS)"
VERSION_ID="12.04"

more /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=13
DISTRIB_CODENAME=maya
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 13 Maya"

inxi
CPU~Triple core AMD A6-3500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz Kernel~3.2.0-37-generic x86_64 Up~2:39 Mem~1173.5/7478.6MB HDD~500.1GB(17.4% used) Procs~168 Client~Shell inxi~1.7.33
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

fig_wright wrote:I cant see "steam" in Mint software centre yet. Why is this? My system:

Code: Select all

wget http://media.steampowered.com/client/installer/steam.deb
sudo apt-get install gdebi-core
sudo gdebi steam.deb
Source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve#Alternati ... on_Methods
fig_wright

Post by fig_wright »

Thanks, but I really want to install Steam via Software centre rather than by fiddly .deb files because then the update management of it will be taken care of without me fiddling again.

Is Steam going to make it to Software Centre for Mint Maya?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I wouldn't count on it. I don't even know if it's in the Precise repositories yet.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

fig_wright wrote:Thanks, but I really want to install Steam via Software centre rather than by fiddly .deb files because then the update management of it will be taken care of without me fiddling again.

Regardless of how it's installed, Steam will update itself as it sees fit. It's not (reasonably) possible to run an out of date version for any length of time.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

fig_wright wrote:Thanks, but I really want to install Steam via Software centre rather than by fiddly .deb files because then the update management of it will be taken care of without me fiddling again.

Steam has a proper repo, and their .deb file does the correct fiddly fiddling to have apt manage upgrades. You'll be just fine installing it.

(If you can -- precise/maya has a sufficient (>= 2.15) libc, but may get hung up with other dependencies.)

Return to “Gaming”