Skyrim on Linux with Wine. "Unable to find INI file" error.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Skyrim on Linux with Wine. "Unable to find INI file" error.

Postby Daniel Ashley on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm having difficulty trying to run Skyrim on my Linux system. I'm running Mint 13 Maya, I mounted the .iso file I had of Skyrim Legendary Edition, was then able to (after going into the virtual drive and manually searching the folder) find and run the installer exe with Wine. It all went smoothly, took a while, but compared to the time it took my other pc (running Win 7 Ultimate) it wasn't really that long. But then after having installed it, I attempted to run the launcher.exe with Wine, but it gave me an error report saying "Unable to find INI file. Please reinstall Skyrim." as you can see in the attached image (assuming I've been able to attach it).

I would really appreciate it if someone could assist me with this as I have been able to run it on Win 7 but am sooooo close to having it on Linux, it would be a shame to give up now...
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Sreenshot of the error message after attempting to run the launcher with Wine.
Daniel Ashley
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Skyrim on Linux with Wine. "Unable to find INI file" err

Postby Booman on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I recommend staying away from .iso version of Games. From what I have heard, Skyrim is a Steam only game. So I would try using PlayOnLinux and install Steam, then download Skyrim from there.
I'm reading on WineHQ and there IS a retail version too. Its the 1.1 version.
Anyways, when you use PlayOnLinux, I recommend a newer version of Wine like 1.6 or 1.6-rc4
Run Wine as Windows 7

Then make sure to install these libraries because Skyrim requires them:
d3dx9
d3dx10
d3dx9_42
vcrun2008
xact
Booman
Mint 16 64-bit
Wine 1.7.17
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Daniel Ashley on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Thank you for the help, I had seen this PlayOnLine app but didn't know how applicable it was for my purpose.

Thanks, I'll try what you say and see how it works. :)
Daniel Ashley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booman on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Oh man, PlayOnLinux rocks PC Games in Linux. click on the link in my sig and you'll see how many games I've got working in Linux.
Its actually my hobby, testing PC games and if they run, I create a how-to guide and publish them on our site.
I have Skyrim, but havn't actually installed yet. Its on my to do list.
Booman
Mint 16 64-bit
Wine 1.7.17
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Daniel Ashley on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:39 am

Ok, cool, well I'm going to try it now and see, I got PlayOnLinux now, it's just downloading Wine now (although the version numbers I'm seeing look a bit outdate and PlayOnLinux says there's a newer version) but I'll try it as it's going. If it doesn't work, I'll try update the versions and re-attempt it and let you know how it works for me. (My version of Linux Mint is a little bit old, only Mint 13 Maya, but from what I hear that shouldn't be too much of a proplem, but I can't shake the feeling it lags a bit in terms of how up-to-date all the software is [versions and whatnot]).

But thanks for the help man, people like you who test all this stuff make it just that much easier for the rest of us standard users to play, big ups to you. :) :mrgreen:
Daniel Ashley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Booman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am

The Initial Wine install is all you will need for PlayOnLinux to work. We won't be touching Wine "its-self" again.
I recommend the newest PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Mint 13 should be Fine. I"m still in Mint 14 and running lots of games.

I also recommend following one of my guides to help you get "the hang" of how PlayOnLinux works.
Sometimes you can just search for a game, install it with the provided script and you are good to go... but I found that a lot of scripts are outdated and don't work.
So I have learned to install games manually with PlayOnLinux (which helped me learn the inner workings) and I am able to troubleshoot later when a game doesn't work.
Booman
Mint 16 64-bit
Wine 1.7.17
PlayOnLinux 4.2.1
Booman
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Gaming on Linux Mint