Odd sound issue during some games.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Odd sound issue during some games.

Postby Megazell on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 am

Hey,

I am running Linux Mint 15 - Cinnamon. The following games have odd sound issues for me:

Abuse
Quake Live!
Warsow

^ When I play those games I get some type of static especially around explosions.

Other games like Red Eclipse, Nexuiz, Cube 2, Xonotic, Marathon series and more play perfectly.

From the little research I've done it has something to do with Pulse and Alas but in my menu I see no way to edit these things.

Probably means I have to go to terminal but since I'm sort of new and unsure about what to do there - I'm a bit lost.

Any help?

Bonus: Wolfenstien Enemy Territory has no sound at all.
Megazell's Free and Legal PC Games!
http://freeandlegalpcgames.wordpress.com/

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain
Megazell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Odd sound issue during some games.

Postby gemini89 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:06 am

This is a long shot, but it might be that you need the 32-bit packages installed.

Try to install them by typing in the terminal:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs libxrandr2:i386
Desktop: Intel Core i5 4670K, 16 GB, Geforce GTX 650Ti, 120 GB SSD, LM 16 Cinnamon
"Steambox": AMD FX-6100, 8 GB, GeForce GTX 650Ti, 1 TB HDD, LM 16 KDE
Ultrabook: Acer Timeline U, Intel Core i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000, 520 GB SSHD, LM 16 MATE
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Megazell on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:25 am

gemini89 wrote:This is a long shot, but it might be that you need the 32-bit packages installed.

I got this

E: Unable to locate package ia32-libs

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain
Megazell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gemini89 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:01 am

Megazell wrote:
gemini89 wrote:This is a long shot, but it might be that you need the 32-bit packages installed.

I got this

Okey. Are you running the 32-bit Linux Mint version or the 64-bit?
Desktop: Intel Core i5 4670K, 16 GB, Geforce GTX 650Ti, 120 GB SSD, LM 16 Cinnamon
Ultrabook: Acer Timeline U, Intel Core i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000, 520 GB SSHD, LM 16 MATE
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Megazell on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 pm

gemini89 wrote:
Megazell wrote:

I got this

Okey. Are you running the 32-bit Linux Mint version or the 64-bit?

32 Bit

Megazell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gemini89 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:47 am

Well then it´s not weird that you can´t install the 32-bit packages. I´m sorry but I have no more ideas on what it might be. I don´t know how much you´ve goggled, but I guess that´s the only way. Unfortunately there aren´t much activity in this section of the forum, you can try the hardware section or maybe Ubuntuforums, there´s a lot more activity there.
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Megazell on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:28 am

gemini89 wrote:Well then it´s not weird that you can´t install the 32-bit packages. I´m sorry but I have no more ideas on what it might be. I don´t know how much you´ve goggled, but I guess that´s the only way. Unfortunately there aren´t much activity in this section of the forum, you can try the hardware section or maybe Ubuntuforums, there´s a lot more activity there.

Thanks :) I've been searching from time to time looking for other solutions. Since it's only those two games I decided to play them a lot less and concentrate on the ones that work well but my inner gamer is not happy with that.

Megazell
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gemini89 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:58 am

Megazell wrote:Thanks :) I've been searching from time to time looking for other solutions. Since it's only those two games I decided to play them a lot less and concentrate on the ones that work well but my inner gamer is not happy with that.

No problem. I wish I could be more of help. I understand, I have some issues myself, (screen tearing when watching movies for instance) and after a while one just get bored of looking. Hopefully we´ll get better drivers in a near future, as I believe a lot of the problems lay there.
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Megazell on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:39 pm

gemini89 wrote:No problem. I wish I could be more of help. I understand, I have some issues myself, (screen tearing when watching movies for instance) and after a while one just get bored of looking. Hopefully we´ll get better drivers in a near future, as I believe a lot of the problems lay there.

I just got my Nvidia card. The games run great with the exception of L4D 2 and TF2 - They have screen tears. Now my movies have really slight screen tears :(

Mind you my ATI CARD had no such problem when it came to screen tearing :(

Do you have a 120 Hz Monitor or 60 Hz - I am reading online and most ppl are saying that my monitor is the bottle neck.

Issue Resolved - I used this - viewtopic.php?f=49&t=144949 - Fixed! :)

Megazell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Gaming on Linux Mint