Anyone else have trouble with Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Anyone else have trouble with Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate?

Postby codetaku on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:35 pm

I just recently bought Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate via Steam. When the game starts, whether started via Steam or by using the shell script in the games install directory, I get a splash screen followed by a crash. No errors. I could find no log files either in the games directories or in Steams directories. Even when running from commandline I get nothing on stdout/stderr. I really don't know what to look at or try from here since I've got nothing to go on! I'm running Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon x64 and fglrx-updates drivers with a AMD Radeon HD 7750 card. I should mention that I am running a dual monitor setup in case that might impact things.

Has anyone else experienced such problems and maybe solved them? Hopefully I'm missing something simple. Should I try getting the latest drivers from AMDs site maybe?

Thanks in advance for any help!
codetaku
codetaku
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Anyone else have trouble with Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimat

Postby markodeablo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 am

Hi,
I have a virtually identical setup to you, dual monitor 7750 and I've had some quite bad issues with Linux mint 16 (with & without amd drivers), I get random lock ups where I can do nothing and have to hard reset.
This happens in Cinnamon and mate 64bit using fglrx and radeon drivers, and when it is working, I get no 3d hardware acceleration or smooth video playback.
Because I prefer to use linux, I've downgraded to Mint 15 and its as stable as a rock (without any hardware acceleration).

I keep periodically trying 16 after some updates, but I still seem to get it. Steam on linux is a distant wish for me at the minute!

Sabertooth 990FX R2 mobo
amd FX8320 8 cores
Saphire hd7750 GPU

Plenty of cooling and rock steady in windows & mint 15
markodeablo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Gaming on Linux Mint