Games wont work correctly with AMD

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Games wont work correctly with AMD

Postby dotpreach on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:00 pm

So, I am a newcomer to linux.. Started few days ago. Now i downloaded drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 5570 and installed them. I used something like this:
Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    $ sudo apt-get autoclean
    $ sudo reboot
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle-updates
    $ sudo aticonfig --initial
    $ sudo reboot

After i did that, I checked with inxi -G and it shows my graphics card and says the drivers are right. But i did some testing with CSS (Counter strike source) with the graphic tester it has. With the exact same settings, my windows got 109fps and linux mint 16 Cinnamon got only 59fps. And no there was no fps limit or anything, and if i connect to a server it might get really laggy, my mouse movements come with delay tho my fps is around 100 that moment.. Could anyone help me with this ? Is the problem with my ati drivers or what ?

And i am really new to linux, sorry about that. :oops:
dotpreach
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Games wont work correctly with AMD

Postby clfarron4 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:53 pm

No, the performance of fglrx/AMD Catalyst in Linux is quite a bit worse than it is in Windows. There is the option of manually updating the verson of Catalyst you are using, but the performance gains aren't that much.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Games wont work correctly with AMD

Postby Booman on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Unfortunately you are at the mercy of AMD and their drivers.
If you have a desktop, one thing you can do is purchase an Nvidia card. Drivers are great and I've had a LOT of success testing games.
Check my signature

Its hard to tell if its the drivers alone that kill your frame rates or processes in Mint.
One think I learned to do is use Openbox desktop manager to play games and you can potentially gain some frames per second.
Openbox is the bare minimum to run Linux and uses a lot less processes, kinda like Safe-Mode in Windows.
But its a lot harder to use because there are no default menu's or windows.
Booman
Mint 17 64-bit
Wine 1.7.18
PlayOnLinux 4.2.2
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Gaming on Linux Mint