Steam for Linux Games Increases by 900%

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Steam for Linux Games Increases by 900%

Post by vrkalak »

Steam for Linux now offers more than 500 gaming titles.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/stea ... -500-games
In the twelve months since its initial stable release, the number of games available on Linux through Steam has increased substantially. Based on numbers listed by the Steam ‘Linux’ Store page, it may be as much as a mammoth 900% – jumping from a mere 50 titles at launch to more than 530 today.

After spending much of late 2012 in beta, the popular games distribution platform was formally released on Ubuntu back in February 14, 2013.

While stats from Valve’s own monthly Hardware Survey appear to show a continuing decline in the number of Linux gamers using the service, barring the odd uptick, user enthusiasm and improvements in support from big-name games developers remain on the up.

With the first Linux-based Steam Machines launching this year the pace of new arrivals for Linux is unlikely to slow down. Mid-2014 could be when we start to see more current, big-name gaming titles hit Linux at the same time as Windows and Mac.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gemini89

Re: Steam for Linux Games Increases by 900%

Post by gemini89 »

I sure did not expect this a year ago.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

That's interesting. Maybe graphics driver will improve now... :)
dogsolitude_uk

Post by dogsolitude_uk »

Yeah, it actually seems to have taken off in a far bigger way than I expected.

I think due credit should also be given to Humble Bundle for insisting on Linux ports, and also dev kits like Unity and MonoDevelop that make it easy for Indies to port to Linux in a reasonably consistent way, but Steam's definitely been the catalyst Linux needed. Nearly all Indie games have a little penguin next to them now :)

Return to “Gaming”