Gaming on Linux Mint 16 gives issues

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Metalfyre
Level 1
Level 1

Gaming on Linux Mint 16 gives issues

Post by Metalfyre »

Hi,

I've been running Linux Mint Cinnamon for about a year and a half now. I noticed something strange with gaming on LM 16.

In LM 14 (I never used version 15) I could for instance play Diablo III through PlayOnLinux with Wine very well. Same with Rift Online and other games.
As of LM 16, I can still play Rift Online and other games, but I notice that the cursor looks strange. The outline of the cursor is there, but the texture is completely gone in game. And ONLY the cursor is affected.
First I thought it may have something to do with version of Wine I am using or hardware related issue, but then I saw a Youtube clip of someone explaining how to install and play a game on LM 16 through Wine, and I saw the EXACT same thing!

Also, I started playing Diablo III again last week (hadn't played it for a while), since with the new 2.0.* patch the content has changed a lot in preperation of the new expansion Reaper of Souls, and I got it to install (using the new Battle.net app) and run and could run it for a few days just fine. Although I noticed that going into darker dungeons, the floor texture was fine in a circle area around me, but farther back or ahead of me it would show little red outlines as if it wasn't able to render it very clearly. And since last friday I cannot even play the game anymore; for I can log in but not make use of any feature (like AH, looking at a friend's profile, logging into the game itself) without freezing the game. First I thought it was on Blizzards end and complained about it at their forums because I thought it had to do with extreme lag and/or dropping connection(s). I reïnstalled the game, and then it worked for a few hours and then the same problem occured as well.

Now, I know it's not the game, or Wine or whatever that is causing the problem for I still have LM 14 running on my other HDD and there I can play Diablo III just fine!! (using the nvidia 3.04 driver as opposed to the nvidia 3.19 driver in LM 16)
I haven't tested the older nvidia driver in LM 16 I must admit. On LM 14 I have no texture issues whatsoever as well in Diablo III. It runs just as smooth as it does on Windows.

So my question is, has anyone else experienced this as well? And if so, do you reckon it is a vidcard driver issue? Or an issue in LM 16 itself for some reason?
I will try and test it with the older nvidia driver in LM 16 to see if it's a driver issue or somehow related to LM 16 and will get back on that and let it know here. In the meantime any feedback on this is greatly appreciated. :)

[edit] Well, almost every issue I had was resolved. Turned out it was not a driver issue. Albeit that I needed to change a few things via my nVidia control panel (like unmark the "Use Conformant Texture Clamping" underneath OpenGL settings, which is NOT necessary (in other words, I can leave it marked!) under LM 14!), which got rid of the red lining/pixelation in darker dungeons in Diablo III under LM 16. I also used a different Wine version. Instead of the 1.7.* Wine versions, I reverted back to the 1.5.5 version that was especially for Diablo III (1.5.5-DiabloIII_v3) which made sure I wouldn't get random freezes after logging in, that is, if I could log in in the first place! Now I don't have problems logging in, playing the game or any other features. The ONLY thing that persists is the cursor issue, where the outlining is good, but no texture. Which oddly enough is not present when using LM 14 as stated. Could it be a hardware issue? As I run LM 16 on an SSD drive and LM 14 on a HDD drive?? But, the cursor issue I can live with though :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Booman

Re: Gaming on Linux Mint 16 gives issues

Post by Booman »

Wow, I have to admit, my Mint 16 gaming experience in PlayOnLinux hasn't been all that great either.
I started with Mint 13 on my fastest computer, updated to Mint 14 and rarely had any issues.
I have been on Mint 16 since January and have issues all the time. Specially with PlayOnLinux.
Most of my problems are related to audio chipset/drivers and pulseaudio. Its been a huge pain-in-the-butt!
I have read many people using Ubuntu 13.10 have similar audio issues as well.

I know this isn't related to your problems, but I'm about done with Mint 16. I have even thought about downgrading back to Mint 14, but then I would be on those old Nvidia drivers again.

Anyways, not sure why the texture is missing on the mouse cursor.... you may want to try disabling GLSL and see if that helps.
Some games totally freak-out when you disable it.

Another thing you can try is Launch your game with "Debug" and then post the output here.
It will list bugs, fixme's and errors.
Jumbo21

Post by Jumbo21 »

Gaming on Linux Mint was never a smooth easy experience for me. Manjaro however has been nearly flawless when it comes to gaming, reminds me of windows :P
Booman

Post by Booman »

Very interesting... others have recommended Manjaro to me as well.
It will definitely be my next distro to "try out"
I never liked the idea of Arch because I have to configure EVERYTHING, but I like the idea of Manjaro based on Arch where the basic stuff is already configured.
Jumbo21

Post by Jumbo21 »

Booman wrote:Very interesting... others have recommended Manjaro to me as well.
It will definitely be my next distro to "try out"
I never liked the idea of Arch because I have to configure EVERYTHING, but I like the idea of Manjaro based on Arch where the basic stuff is already configured.
Yup, Manjaro is for lazy people who like Arch :P
Booman

Post by Booman »

Exactly! Which is pretty much everyone but "hard-core Linux guru's"
dablackfox

Post by dablackfox »

A workaround for the mouse issue is changing from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen. or windowed.

Thanks for the red dot fix
Booman

Post by Booman »

Yes, this might work, but you won't get the fullscreen effect. Maybe you can set the "windowed" mode to match the resolution of your Linux desktop?

Return to “Gaming”