[SOLVED] Steam Client - Mint 17 MATE

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Steam Client - Mint 17 MATE

Post by jmorris84 »

I downloaded the client and it simply does not open up. Is this a known issue with MATE 17? I had this running perfectly fine with MATE 16.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BlackVeils

Re: Steam Client - Mint 17 MATE

Post by BlackVeils »

have you installed proprietary graphics drivers? steam needs to be started/updated with open source drivers. exit steam after.

then change to the preferred driver and reboot computer.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

BlackVeils wrote:have you installed proprietary graphics drivers? steam needs to be started/updated with open source drivers. exit steam after.

then change to the preferred driver and reboot computer.
Yes, I installed the fglrx drivers via the Driver Manager. So you are saying to install the Xorg drivers instead?
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

yes steam needs whatever the default open source driver was, so go back to the default. then start and update steam, close when finished.

change back to the proprietary drivers then reboot computer.

i'm not a gamer but i saw a lot of this across the web.and made notes for someone.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

I really appreciate your responses. I'm at work now but will try this when I get back home and report back how I made out. Thanks again!
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

Worked like a charm. Thank you!!!
zektor

Re: [SOLVED] Steam Client - Mint 17 MATE

Post by zektor »

Steam must have been updated as this is no longer necessary.

Return to “Gaming”