Emulators on Mint?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Michael Piziak

Emulators on Mint?

Post by Michael Piziak »

Hi all,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4 gigs ram.

I'm big on game emulation.

Please tell me about the emulators that you know work good on Mint.

Currently I'm mostly using PCSX, Snes9x, & bsnes.

I once upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, but couldn't get Snes9x to run, so I went back to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
The PCSX emulator I use, well about half the roms work.
I have not successfully gotten any Sega emulators to work - I've tried Genesis and Saturn emulators. My last attempt was Yabause (Sega Saturn), but I could not configure the gamepad correctly - also, it didn't seem like it was going to run smoothly.
I also on occasion run FCEUX or GFCE (both NES) emulators.

I'm curious as to which emulators run well on Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Destin Faroda

Re: Emulators on Mint?

Post by Destin Faroda »

There are quite some Linux emulators available, but some need a bit of tweaking.
- Snes: higan
- N64: Mupen64
- PSX: ePSXe
- PS2: PCSX2
- GB/C/A: Visual Boy Advanced
- NDS: DeSmuME
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

Kega Fusion is on Linux and it's the best Sega Genesis,CD,32X emulator. You can just download it and double click Fusion to start it. It's really that simple. You'll have to make your own shortcut.

http://www.carpeludum.com/kega-fusion/

I place it in the home folder. To create a shortcut do this. If you want an icon just download an image and place it somewhere like $HOME/.local/share/icons/. I use this.

http://storage.yooco.de/storage/s6/4/0/ ... Fusion.png

sudo gedit $HOME/.local/share/applications/fusion.desktop

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Kega Fusion
Name[hr]=Kega Fusion
Exec=$HOME/Fusion/Fusion
Icon=Fusion.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Game;
StartupNotify=false
rcgamer

Post by rcgamer »

There is also MAME which works well as long as you have the right roms.
Michael Piziak

Post by Michael Piziak »

Trying to install Kega Fusion.

I guess I need to install the 32 bit architectures to get it to work. Don't know how to do that - ?

Mame - isn't that to emulate coin operated video games - ?
Michael Piziak

Post by Michael Piziak »

Dukenukemx wrote:Kega Fusion is on Linux and it's the best Sega Genesis,CD,32X emulator. You can just download it and double click Fusion to start it. It's really that simple. You'll have to make your own shortcut.

http://www.carpeludum.com/kega-fusion/

I place it in the home folder. To create a shortcut do this. If you want an icon just download an image and place it somewhere like $HOME/.local/share/icons/. I use this.

http://storage.yooco.de/storage/s6/4/0/ ... Fusion.png[/code]

Thanks so much. I downloaded the Debian package, double clicked it, and the Ubuntu software center installed it perfectly. It works great too !
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Earl_Hickey »

I'm having great fun with FS-UAE. It plays all the old Amiga games without any problems although could be too realistic as it even recreates the disk sounds and loading speeds!
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

Dolphin is also on Linux and it works great too. Enjoying some MegaMan 9 on it.

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

I highly recommend Hatari (Atari ST emulator). Very easy to set up and the emulation is so good it almost makes me wonder why I have hundreds of pounds worth of ST gear in my home.

I also recommend VICE (emulates C64 and other Commodore 8-Bits). The only downside is that it requires a bit of command line interaction for it to work:
http://www.n00bsonubuntu.net/content/ho ... ntu-12-04/

The instructions are for Ubuntu, but it works exactly the same with Mint.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

Stella, an emulator for the Atari 2600/VCS, is available in Mint's Software Manager (and most likely in Ubuntu's Software Center), and runs quite well, even on my low-powered Lenovo netbook. Your Core 2 Duo rig should run it without issue.

Takin' it back to the old school... :)
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

I just discovered that the ProSystem emulator for Atari 7800 works flawlessly through Wine (including full screen). The 7800 is a less celebrated successor to the VCS/2600 that plays more or less the same type of games with a few extra bells and whistles. There are some great arcade ports available on the system like Galaga, Food Fight and Mario Bros.

If you enjoy 2600 games on Stella and want more of the same, this is a good emulator to go for.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

Michael Piziak wrote: I guess I need to install the 32 bit architectures to get it to work. Don't know how to do that - ?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libsm6:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386
And have fun!
Bladeforce

Post by Bladeforce »

Big shout to puNES, a relatively unknown emulator for NES and IMHO the best

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=6928
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

Thanks, I'll have to look into this puNes. Too bad there's no Project64 or any other good N64 emulators on Linux.
Deep_Thought
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deep_Thought »

Michael Piziak wrote:Trying to install Kega Fusion.

I guess I need to install the 32 bit architectures to get it to work. Don't know how to do that - ?

Mame - isn't that to emulate coin operated video games - ?
It shouldn't be necessary to install 32 bit libs, i switched from 64 bit Lubuntu to 64 bit Mint Xfce on my multi emulator cab because of that.
On Lubuntu it was increasingly dificult to get Daphne, the laserdisk emulator running, it needed 32 bit libs.
On Mint Xfce it runs out of the box, even on 64 bit.
My arcade cab running Linux Mint Xfce: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Based on a core 2 duo e8400 (@3.6 Ghz) with Mame, Daphne (the laserdisk emulator) and lots of others.
DevilJinAli

Post by DevilJinAli »

Can someone confirm me does PPSSPP emulator works on mint ?
Bladeforce

Post by Bladeforce »

PPSSPP both SDL and QT work fine for me on Linuxmint KDE
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

I've been trying out Kega Fusion on my new laptop (currently using Windows 7) and I had to change the resolution to 1024x768 before it would give me full screen. This was using 364 (the last version released for Windows) but the last version released for Linux (363) doesn't have a menu option to change resolution. I tried running 364 through Wine on my desktop and it works perfectly (including full screen) but my laptop has Intel GMA graphics which might produce different results to my desktop which is using a Radeon HD5450 and a VGA monitor.

Has anyone here successfully got 1024x768 full screen resolution with Kega Fusion on a contemporary laptop with Intel GMA graphics through Linux?
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

English Invader wrote:Has anyone here successfully got 1024x768 full screen resolution with Kega Fusion on a contemporary laptop with Intel GMA graphics through Linux?
Menu > Video > Full Screen.

Resolution is irrelevant in this case.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

BlueKnight wrote:
English Invader wrote:Has anyone here successfully got 1024x768 full screen resolution with Kega Fusion on a contemporary laptop with Intel GMA graphics through Linux?
Menu > Video > Full Screen.

Resolution is irrelevant in this case.
Is your laptop screen 1280x800? The 1024x768 is a mistake on my part. 1280x800 is what I had to change to for a full screen picture. I tried 363 on Windows 7 and it came up with a prompt saying I needed to brute force the graphics through the ini file to get the correct output.

Return to “Gaming”