HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough

Questions about virtualization software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough

Post by powerhouse »

@thehappygrub: For what it's worth, I am NOT using UEFI. I disabled it in the M/B BIOS, as far as I remember.

UEFI can be a pain in the neck. Not only did Grub not support it for a long time, I'm not so sure Xen has good support for it.

I would check to make sure that everything is set up correctly:

1. Check the BIOS settings - VT-d, VT-x, legacy boot/UEFI (must match whatever you try to use)
2. Do you have the latest BIOS firmware? Check the vendor site for updates and read the release notes before trying to update! Some newer BIOS releases can jeopardize passthrough (it's been reported for some Asus boards).
3. Use less than 6 GB memory for your Windows guest. (Well, you do that already.)
4. Make sure you specify

Code: Select all

device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'
in your guest config file.
5. Follow the instructions of the how-to, but check that you create the correct links (under /usr/lib xen-default should point to xen-4.4).

Hope it helps.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
karnok

Post by karnok »

I got a problem when i am at step 15.

I used a fresh install and did not install any drivers, when i have to reboot in step 15 i can get to the login page but when i type in my password the screen turns black, i can however move the mouse arround.

Tried to blacklist nouveau drivers but still got the same problem.

My specs:
Cpu: I7 4790k
Gpu 1: 970 gtx (This gpu i want to passthrough)
Gpu 2: intel hd 4600
Mobo: msi gaming 5

Anyone knows how to fix this?
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

@karnok: Check your CPU - the one you specify is INCOMPATIBLE, as far as I know. See my how-to right at the beginning where I write about hardware requirements. See this link and check if your CPU is listed.
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
karnok

Post by karnok »

powerhouse wrote:@karnok: Check your CPU - the one you specify is INCOMPATIBLE, as far as I know. See my how-to right at the beginning where I write about hardware requirements. See this link and check if your CPU is listed.
My processor (i7 4790k) is combatiable according to the intel ark. I can login but then it goes to black screen, I can however still move the mouse arround so it's not freezing. Also activated VTD in my bios so that is neither the problem.

However I have to use the intergrated gpu as first gpu in bios, when i select that it uses the 970 gtx it will not even go to the login screen and just go black screen during the boot of Xen. I used a fresh install and had no nvidia drivers installed to avoid any problem.

Any ideas?
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

karnok wrote:
powerhouse wrote:@karnok: Check your CPU - the one you specify is INCOMPATIBLE, as far as I know. See my how-to right at the beginning where I write about hardware requirements. See this link and check if your CPU is listed.
My processor (i7 4790k) is combatiable according to the intel ark. I can login but then it goes to black screen, I can however still move the mouse arround so it's not freezing. Also activated VTD in my bios so that is neither the problem.

However I have to use the intergrated gpu as first gpu in bios, when i select that it uses the 970 gtx it will not even go to the login screen and just go black screen during the boot of Xen. I used a fresh install and had no nvidia drivers installed to avoid any problem.

Any ideas?
Re VT-d: Sorry, my mistake. The processor is listed as compatible.

It's best to use the integrated GPU for Linux/Xen and the discrete GPU for Windows, if you need Windows for gaming etc.

Have you tried the different suggestions under step 15?

If nothing helps, in the Grub menu, select and boot a regular (non-Xen) kernel and configure remote access (I assume that you are able to boot a regular non-Xen kernel). After that reboot into Xen and use a second PC in your network to access your PC. Check which drivers are used for the GPUs. Let us know if you can boot into a regular kernel.

I'm afraid I'm not very good in debugging graphics card issues. You may want to post this issue in the "Board index ‹ Main Edition Support ‹ Hardware Support ‹ Graphic Cards & Monitors" section.
kifto

vmware sphere, XEN or KvM?

Post by kifto »

this is an amazing topic, this has been one of the guides I've followed to build my new rigg:

core i7 4790
asrock z97 extreme 4
32 gb ddr3 RAM 1600 kingston hyper x savage
crucial mx 256gb SSD
NIC Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter PCI-e (EXPI9301CT 1000)
PSU corsair gold CS650M

+ 4tb iSCSI target ->ZFS raid Z1 storage in a nas4free dedicated box (which I dont know if I should virtualize)

I've also got an old asus geforce GTS250 and an older ati radeon x1500. I will use one of them for the host if I choose the XEN or KVM option.
I'm also looking for a cheap hba SATA card for storage passthrough
and, of course, a new GPU. I will choose the gpu (probably an nvidia GPU, I don't like amd GPUs) when I decide which hypervisor is the best for my needs.

I'm still trying to decide between vmware sphere, xen or KVM

My idea is to use a hypervisor for something like a Multi-headed Gaming Setup, plus a few more VMs:

-linux "main" VM -> (office, video, websurfing, development...)
-windows server 2012 R2 VM -> active directory, (perhaps vCenter Server if I choose the vmware way)
-windows 8.1 gaming VM
-NAS4free file server (a BSD distro used for file sharing)-> I already use it as iSCSI target for VMware (or other hypervisor) in a dedicated old box, I'd like to implement it as a VM as well in the same rigg
-windows 7 VM (for websurfing, software testing...).

obviously not all of them will be used at the same time, only the host, windows server 2012 r2, and the bsd NAS appliance (if I decide to virtualize my NAS dedicated box) will be plugged 24/7
Only the windows 8.1 gaming VM (one GPU) and perhaps the NAS appliance, if I decide to use it, will need PCI passthrough.

I've read that the performance of them three is, nowadays, quite good in VGA passthrough, but I still don't know which of them (vmware sphere, xen or KVM) will fit my need, or is the best for my hardware/network.

I've got a GBE network at home (controlled by an asus DSL-N16U modem-router), but many VMs will be used through wifi n300 or even n150. The most demanding VMs will be used through wired gigabite network (the main linux VM and the windows 8.1 gaming VM).

KVM pros: I can use geforce cards for VGA passthrough, I can use a linux local host as my main operating system and as the hypervisor, all in one
KVM contras: I've read it has the worst VGA passthrough support of the 3 hypervisors. It seems the most dificult to admin (no good GUIs). Constant changes of kernel, drivers, configs...

XEN pros: it seems it has a good performance in VGA passthrough, I can use a linux local host as my main as and as the hypervisor, all in one
XEN contras: no VGA passthrough support for geforce cards, it seems easier to config & admin than KVM (but more difficult than vmware sphere for me)

VMware Sphere pros: people report it has a very good performance in VGA passthrough, and it's the hypervisor I've used the most.
VMware Sphere contras: no support for geforce GPUs on passthough, only AMD or nvidia quadro cards (or modified geforces). And all the operating systems act as VMs, no "usable" local host like KVM or ZEN (dom0), -> so one more VM that needs to be used through the home network from another computer.

Any suggestion about which hypervisor should I use?

Any suggestion about a good+cheap nvidia GPU for passthrough?
or, if I choose vmware sphere or XEN, I will not spend my money in a multiOS quadro card, so perhaps I will choose an AMD gpu ..any suggestion? should be a cheap one, passthrogh capable, and not powerhungry (my PSU is "only" 650w, and if I have to choose an amd card for the windows 8.1 gaming VM, that card will have to be in the same motherboard with my power-hungry old asus nvidia geforce GTS250 used by the linux host).

Any suggestion for a good+cheap RAID sata card (i don't need SAS, and I don't need more than 4 SATA3 ports) passthrough capable to use it with a BSD based NAS distro?

thanks for any help

PD: sorry for my poor english
brewster

Post by brewster »

I have followed this tutorial almost exactly as posted including the post about setting up the hard drive with lvm but I am stuck at the step where it first tells you to boot into xen. I get an error similar to this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/567730/g ... esnt-exist except the device that it's looking for is lm17-root (I figured lm13 from the tutorial wasn't quite right :P). Any ideas? I checked all my settings in bios and all my hardware is compatible. My primary graphics card is gtx 760 and the one I will pass is a radeon r9 290. I guess that really doesn't matter though because with or without the secondary in I get issues. Am I missing something?
Syzygy123

Post by Syzygy123 »

Thanks for the guide powerhouse!

I have a problem at step 15 as well. I'm using linux mint 17 and two 290x gpus. I followed the guide except that I used the x1 toolstack and added: device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'....I also skipped steps 9 and 10 for now. I can boot into xen once, but after that it black screens once I enter my password and login. I still see and can move the mouse cursor, but no desktop. I could also use "ctrl alt f1" to get to a cli login.

I tried using this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 17#p843200, installing fglrx drivers both by command line and by installing directly from the amd website, but got the same thing only now I could no longer use "ctrl alt f1" to get a cli. I would just get a black screen instead of prompt. I tried booting into the linux mint kernel and got the same behavior at the login screen as xen, but was able to access a cli.
From there I tried using the grub options:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.blacklist=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.blacklist=1 quiet splash nomodeset"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="radeon.blacklist=1 radeon.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=radeon rd.blacklist=radeon quiet splash"
no change except for the boot screen looked different.

I tried pulling out the second gpu, but that didn't help either. It's weird that the normal kernel gui no longer works after booting the xen kernel.

You mentioned this:
"However, if you choose to use 2 AMD or 2 Nvidia graphics cards, you would need the respective driver for your dom0. In that case the PCI devices should be detached before the driver starts. You may need to run update-rc.d pciback defaults 21 19 with different numbers, or find another way to run this script before the graphics drivers are loaded."
Does anyone know a time when the pciback script can be run?

Is there anything else that I can try? Thanks for the help!
Syzygy123

Post by Syzygy123 »

I found out how to fix the issue. For anyone else getting a blackscreen and cursor on login to lm17, I used this link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1829

Installing gnome and gdm fixed the login issue. I also went back through the installation process and found that "apt-get remove network-manager" is what breaks either mdm or cinnamon. I skipped this step and can now login.

When you said network-manager is a pain, powerhouse, what do you mean? What issues does it cause?
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

@kifto: I think that either of the options is good. It probably depends on the hardware. As far as I've read kvm might be better with Nvidia graphics cards. People on the Xen mailing list have reported success with some Nvidia cards, but if I remember correctly this required a graphics card firmware patch. Check out the links I posted in my tutorial.
Good luck in whatever method you choose!
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Syzygy123 wrote:I found out how to fix the issue. For anyone else getting a blackscreen and cursor on login to lm17, I used this link: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1829

Installing gnome and gdm fixed the login issue. I also went back through the installation process and found that "apt-get remove network-manager" is what breaks either mdm or cinnamon. I skipped this step and can now login.

When you said network-manager is a pain, powerhouse, what do you mean? What issues does it cause?
I'm glad you found a workaround using Gnome and gdm. The problem with having two graphics cards of the same make (for example AMD) is that you can't simply blacklist the driver as you need it for the primary card. Blacklisting the Radeon driver after you installed the proprietary driver should be OK.
Using the initramfs method for binding the secondary graphics to pciback before the driver is loaded should do the trick. Somehow it seems that mdm is not happy with this. Those who experience the same problem should try to see via CLI if the secondary graphics card is indeed bound to pciback:

sudo lspci -vv -s 02:00.0
02:00.0 is the PCI ID of the graphics you want to pass through. The last line should read:

Kernel driver in use: pciback
network-manager: I have disabled network manager as I use manual configuration. I had used network-manager until one day it caused havoc in the network configuration and nothing worked. Perhaps by now network-manager has improved and if it works for you, use it. I find it much easier and more reliable to do the network config manually as described. As of now I use Linux Mint 17.1 Mate with Xen 4.4 and xl tool stack for my hardware listed below.
noobgamer

Post by noobgamer »

Thank you for the thread, I've been having a google the last few days on this topic, and reading through this given me a clearer understanding of what is going on. I have a gtx970 so I need to look at KVM for the passthrough, and using this thread as well as the Arch one, I have enough to get started.

Has anything Mint specific changed in the last 3 months that would require this process to be changed? I see at the end of your OP that you may write a guide for KVM, are you still looking at doing this?
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

noobgamer wrote:Thank you for the thread, I've been having a google the last few days on this topic, and reading through this given me a clearer understanding of what is going on. I have a gtx970 so I need to look at KVM for the passthrough, and using this thread as well as the Arch one, I have enough to get started.

Has anything Mint specific changed in the last 3 months that would require this process to be changed? I see at the end of your OP that you may write a guide for KVM, are you still looking at doing this?
When complaining about the load of homework, my math teacher would answer: "The day has 24 hours. If that isn't enough time for you, use the night."

Somehow I don't manage to find enough time. I would love to write a KVM guide, or to explore it a little more than I have done so far. Yet work as well as maintaining two websites and trying to keep abreast in what I do for a living uses up all my time for now.

I believe the KVM information on the Arch forum together with the Linux Mint stuff here should get you going. The OP and some other people on the Arch forum are very knowledgeable. If you run into problems you can post there. It would be great if you would give an update here, perhaps write your own little mini-howto?
mystd

Post by mystd »

Im stuck at: "dmesg | grep AMD-Vi" not showing anything. The problem is my hardware: Saberthooth 990fx rev. 1.xx (bios version 1604) and Phenom II x4 965 should be able to do the gpu passthrough. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... g_hardware) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... g_hardware)

But when I use "# grep --color svm /proc/cpuinfo" from (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-xen- ... v-support/) the test works.

So I tought that maybe the problem is the command: "dmesg | grep AMD-Vi" for my board/bios the AMD-Vi may have to be changed to SVM, in my bios it is called SVM not AMD-Vi. Ive tried some variations but since Im pretty much a linux beginner I have no idea what Im doing.

I also have problems understanding the tutorial:

At 2. it seem I have to install linux and windows with the grub bootloader and this kind of makes no sense to me. I already have Linux mint 17.1 up and running and I dont want a dualboot with grub.

Then there is Step 3: Skip the xm toolstack change (second command). // What second command? "GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown" ?

It would be nice if the steps in this tutorial could be a bit more detailed.
noriss

Post by noriss »

after 5-6 month and updatin xen to 4.4.2 my win7 broke down. I am getting bsod with error message pointing to ATI drivers, but cant figure solution for it. Anyone have same problem or solution? I was using 15.02 beta drivers because it work fine and it didnt find any update for it.

hardware:
GPU: AMD Radeon r9 270 DD
GPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 990X AM3+ ATX
wow1

Post by wow1 »

hi I am getting stuck on step 20 I successfully boot windows 7 and start installing it but after the first restart it boots on the final step of windows installing "Completing Installation ... " and nothing happens I have waited for an hour and nothing change did it couple of times the same thing I don't get error in the terminal the vncviewer dose not freeze I can move the mouse inside the viewer every thing looks like it is working did some one have the same problem or know what is happening

UPDATE
i have solve the problem by reducing the memory in win7.cfg to 2GB from 4GB now the installation is very quick not like before needing 10 min just to to start and it dose not hang on Completing Installation ... but i still want to have more than 2GB for ram in windows I have 8GB and reserved 2GB for dom0 and want to give the other 6GB to domU
bigtubbin

Post by bigtubbin »

Alright, I've been looking over this for a couple hours and my eyes keep glazing over the list and using a terminal seriously for the first time with the many restarts to check the BIOS is getting a little frustrating. This could use a cleanup or its own little Wiki page to try and show people how it works. (I've lucked out on the hardware side with an ASUS HERO Maximus 7 (8?) with the Z97 chipset, an i7 4790K, 32GB of RAM, an AMD 280x (or was it 290, I can't remember) and more than enough room spread over 2 SSDs and several HDDs.)

This tutorial seems to have information to other VM software, unless Xen and Qemu are the same thing.

It's also talking about installing Linux Mint on a VM as well, or am I reading that wrong? Is it talking about installing the Xen Hypervisor or booting into that?

I can't tell if IOMMU support has been enabled since I went and activated the VT-d in the Bios (can't tell by some of the documentation if it's the same thing or different), but can't seem to find the terminal command to see if it's activated.

And then there's something to do with shell scripts, something I haven't gotten to work right yet. Got any good tutorials on how to run them?

There doesn't seem to be a GUI that's a part of the system that allows switching or dedicating one graphics processor to something, like putting the system on Intel HD and the Windows VM to the AMD GPU. (Still haven't switched from software rendering to hardware rendering from what the pop keeps saying on every restart. I have no clue if my hardware graphics driver for both is even installed.)

What is he talking about in #2 about the LVM, something with xl toolstack, GRUB, and windows configuration files? Is he talking talking about GRUB as the physical PC itself or inside the VM?

I've been wanting to switch to linux for years, but the only thing that's held me back was that gaming still isn't well supported on this platform. Sorry for the venting, I want this to succeed since I don't want Win10's spyware on my PC.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

mystd wrote:Im stuck at: "dmesg | grep AMD-Vi" not showing anything. The problem is my hardware: Saberthooth 990fx rev. 1.xx (bios version 1604) and Phenom II x4 965 should be able to do the gpu passthrough. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... g_hardware) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... g_hardware)

But when I use "# grep --color svm /proc/cpuinfo" from (http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-xen- ... v-support/) the test works.

So I tought that maybe the problem is the command: "dmesg | grep AMD-Vi" for my board/bios the AMD-Vi may have to be changed to SVM, in my bios it is called SVM not AMD-Vi. Ive tried some variations but since Im pretty much a linux beginner I have no idea what Im doing.

I also have problems understanding the tutorial:

At 2. it seem I have to install linux and windows with the grub bootloader and this kind of makes no sense to me. I already have Linux mint 17.1 up and running and I dont want a dualboot with grub.

Then there is Step 3: Skip the xm toolstack change (second command). // What second command? "GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown" ?

It would be nice if the steps in this tutorial could be a bit more detailed.
Sorry, this tutorial wasn't written for Linux beginners. It also needs some rework to adopt it to LM17. Step 2 lists the differences between the current LM16 tutorial and what's needed for LM17.

The tutorial is based on my experience with an Intel CPU. AMD has different names for IOMMU, but the idea should be the same. If your hardware is listed under IOMMU supporting hardware, chances are good that it will work. HOWEVER, you need to enter the BIOS and make sure that it's enabled. Check your motherboard manual to see where to look for.

Step 2: There is a list of changes needed to allow this tutorial to work with LM17. "Step 3: Skip the xm toolstack change (second command)." means that if you go down to "3. Install Xen hypervisor and utilities", you will see the command:

sudo sed -i 's/TOOLSTACK=.*\+/TOOLSTACK="xm"/' /etc/default/xen
You should skip this command for LM17 as you will be using the "xl" toolstack.

I hope this gives you a start. There are plenty of links in my tutorial to other tutorials that may be easier to follow, or perhaps even work better. I hope you get it working.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

noriss wrote:after 5-6 month and updatin xen to 4.4.2 my win7 broke down. I am getting bsod with error message pointing to ATI drivers, but cant figure solution for it. Anyone have same problem or solution? I was using 15.02 beta drivers because it work fine and it didnt find any update for it.

hardware:
GPU: AMD Radeon r9 270 DD
GPU: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 990X AM3+ ATX
Can you downgrade to the previous Xen release? This might solve the issue.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

wow1 wrote:hi I am getting stuck on step 20 I successfully boot windows 7 and start installing it but after the first restart it boots on the final step of windows installing "Completing Installation ... " and nothing happens I have waited for an hour and nothing change did it couple of times the same thing I don't get error in the terminal the vncviewer dose not freeze I can move the mouse inside the viewer every thing looks like it is working did some one have the same problem or know what is happening

UPDATE
i have solve the problem by reducing the memory in win7.cfg to 2GB from 4GB now the installation is very quick not like before needing 10 min just to to start and it dose not hang on Completing Installation ... but i still want to have more than 2GB for ram in windows I have 8GB and reserved 2GB for dom0 and want to give the other 6GB to domU
Check your Xen and Windows configuration files. Don't use my win7.cfg configuration file in step 12 without adjusting it to your requirements.

If everything is OK, it might be in issue with Xen and your specific hardware. Post your specs and the config files. Perhaps I or someone else can help.

Return to “Virtual Machines”