Only Getting digital audio

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gsoto83

Only Getting digital audio

Post by gsoto83 »

Hey everyone, I have a problem that I hope you guys can help me with. I recently got a brand new monitor to replace my old vga monitor. I hooked it up via display port, forgetting that the monitor has speakers. I have gone through bios for the motherboard and the monitor and am not able to turn off the digital audio.
My friend and myself have gone over about 2 dozen posts doing just about everything that they said to do, including installing 3rd party control programs such as pluse and hda rejack to remap the system to which audio brand to use first and still nothing. I even black listed several of the mentioned drivers, and the closes I got was just removing all audio.
Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Let me know if you need any info and please be patient, I'm very new to this stuff on linux, I'm a lite weight user for mostly office work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Only Getting digital audio

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi gsoto83,

Have you tried this yet?
Install pavucontrol. Once installed launch it. Switch to the Configuration tab. You should see 2 profiles. Choose the HDMI profile and change it to "Off". Done.

P.S. You posted this in the LMDE sub-forum. I hope this was a mistake because LMDE will only be supported till the end of this year!! You really want LMDE2, which is the current version and has it's own sub-forum.
gsoto83

Post by gsoto83 »

Thank you for informing me about this, I will repost this question in the LMDE2 sub-forum. As to your advice, I have tried this and it only has two options, and that is digital stereo (HDMI) output and off. I can not select my audio card as I should.
Last edited by Pierre on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to LMDE 2 ..
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi gsoto83,

Do you have both a sound chip on the Mother Board and a sound card installed? If so you may be able to disable the sound chip in the BIOS. Consult your MB's documentation to see if that is possible.
gsoto83

Post by gsoto83 »

It is a mob chop set. The motherboard is an asus crosshair 5 formula z. I recently read that maybe I should reinstall the Realtek driver and maybe that will let me select it in the hardware driver manager. I am unsure if this will work but I'll give it a shot tonight.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention, I am just using the mobo chipset, there is no second sound card but my monitor is using the displayport digital audio to over ride the analog setting on the chipset.
gsoto83

Post by gsoto83 »

Maybe more help is that as said it is pumping this through my video card which is an EVGA Nvidia 970 sc +aco2.0 with 4gbs of ram. I haven't had any luck with reinstalling the Relteck drivers for the sound chip.

Return to “LMDE Archive”