LMDE 2 - Best LM - at least for me!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
JochenPankow

LMDE 2 - Best LM - at least for me!

Post by JochenPankow »

After some Distrohopping among other things, various Ubuntu versions based LM I have installed a few weeks ago now LMDE 2 "Betsy" with Cinnamon and am completely satisfied, since I with Linux derivatives experimented... My hardware is no longer the youngest, yet runs perfectly,

Stability is important to me than most current technology and software.

Clem and Team: Please keep it up! Thank you! :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE 2 - Best LM - at least for me!

Post by exploder »

I had the same luck as you! LMDE 2 is running great on both my desktop and laptop now. I had problems with the Ubuntu based editions but LMDE 2 Cinnamon is running problem free. I needed a stable system above all else for some things I have going on right now. LMDE 2 being based on Debian Jesse turned out the be a perfect fit. :D
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan »

Ditto - great release, with room to explore "testings" etc.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Distro-Don

Post by Distro-Don »

My LMDE 2, Betsy Mate is also perfect for me. No problems at all. I like it a lot better than anything else that I have tried, including 17.1.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I'll chime in too. In the past I ran LM 13 as my preferred and LM17 as my secondary. LMDE was way behind and simply sat in the background here because of that. LMDE 2 Betsy has altered all that. After figuring out the little quirks I was experiencing with what I was wanting to do in Betsy, it has become my main player now. I have LM13, LM 17.1 and LMDE2 installed in a fully encrypted disk scenario. Just this morning I made LMDE2 the default boot in my grub om my main, personal box.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

Worked perfectly for me too. Read some articles that the sound may cause issues, but,luckily no issues, even with HDMI.

I did have issues with the screen size at first b/c the start menu was off the screen on my TV. But, after I installed the proprietary ATI drivers, everything looked fine.

I've tried a handful of distros since using linux in around 2011, this one is the best for me.

Thanks to this Linux Mint team!
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I think LMDE could be a front runner to any other distro. The stability of Debian, the wonderful Mint tools, and the Cinnamon DE combine to make a great OS.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I can only approve your comment Crewp. Betsy is a wonderful distro. :wink:
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

LMDE 2 is great. I used to have some minor printer issues and that's gone now with LMDE2.

I used to have an annoying sleep/suspend issue on my laptop and that's gone too.

Also, Citrix Receiver works with LMDE2, which didn't work for me with v1.

Great work, thanks!
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

Im gonna say that LMDE 1 is still undisputed distro for me... for now, until/if Compiz becomes available for LMDE2.
webtarget wrote:Citrix Receiver works with LMDE2, which didn't work for me with v1.

Initially it did not work, but with a little bit of tweaks Citrix Reciever worked for me on LMDE1, no problem for more then 2 years.
kenhall5551

Post by kenhall5551 »

I heartily agree. LMDE 2 is very nice. Basing it on Debian stable was a stroke of genius. Very impressive work, ana VERY stable. Bravo.
kevinthefixer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevinthefixer »

I'd been looking around for another distro. Now, I've been running Puppy Linux for over a decade, and it's been really good to me. But lately it seems to be becoming less, rather than more. Word processors don't seem to want to read documents, some of my (admittedly aging) hardware isn't supported, that sort of thing. I tried several other distros, Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu, all seemed to fall short (mostly on hardware support). Linux Mint hit the target!

For myself, it was LMDE2. I demand a lot from a computer; I store music, photos and movies, personal and business records, technical and recreational books and who knows what else on them; I use them to mod Android tablets and 'phones; I average 3-4 hours a day on my personal machines, more on weekends. Plus the usual e-mail and bill-paying and such. So I need a stable, robust machine that is highly configurable. Windows has become some sort of sick joke; I consider 10 to be Microsoft's last chance--get this one right or never see another dime from me. LMDE2 has just the right combination of "works OOTB" and "sure you can change that--here's how" for my needs and abilities.

For the better-looking half of the family, it was Rebecca. She doesn't need a lot of extras, just basic connectivity. She likes to play Facebook games. A couple years ago I built her a box with lots of RAM (8GB) just for that (Facebook apps are horrible; they just keep eating more RAM for hours and never let go of it. Sometimes closing the browser helps, sometimes a full reboot is necessary). I put Windows 8, then 8.1, on it as the "latest and greatest". Terrible stability problems, they even screwed up the licensing during the mandatory update to 8.1. I was ready to use that computer for a target; Linux Mint changed all that; it even supports her favorite Microsoft wireless mouse. That may not seem like much for most of us, but for someone with extreme RA, that uses a mouse hours at a time, it's important. And now she has a fast stable computer, and the only tweaking I had to do was install Chromium with PepperFlash. Oh and give her pink window borders and taskbars.

If anyone actually plowed through all that, thanks for letting me shout about it. Most of the people I see daily think Linux is some sort of feline animal, or maybe a new model of sports car. And thanks to all who helped make it possible!
nobodynoze

Post by nobodynoze »

The upgrade didn't work for me and I followed the instructions from the link in the sticky. I got to step 6 (before being finished and to the last step i.e. reboot) but couldn't get any further since there were various errors.
loloboho

Post by loloboho »

I've been running Betsy with Mate since its release in April? A flawless release for me at any rate. The Debian base really makes sense. I just wanted to touch bases and thank the developers, Clem and the rest, for a great job and your support. It is so nice to boot up and have everything work every day without fail.

I also run LMDE testing (Stretch) as a second boot just to keep up with development. I keep up with all the updates which amount to six or a dozen daily. Somebody is out there is putting in a lot of hours. Stretch is working just fine too with only one thing broken at this time, aptitude. Not a problem since I just use apt-get instead. I'm sure the developers are working on a bunch of related issues.

Thanks again,
Robert

Return to “LMDE Archive”