MDM HTML5 Themes

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anandrkris

Re: MDM HTML5 Themes

Post by anandrkris »

Hi Sam - I have now extracted all the themes from the file published by Clem.
I just have one complaint - The login screens are so good that I keep staring at the login screen without logging in to desktop. :mrgreen:
Have tried most of the themes - My favourite theme
Suggestion - You could perhaps publish a brief video on various themes using record desktop and emulator?
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

anandrkris wrote:Hi Sam - I have now extracted all the themes from the file published by Clem.
I just have one complaint - The login screens are so good that I keep staring at the login screen without logging in to desktop. :mrgreen:
Have tried most of the themes - My favourite theme
Suggestion - You could perhaps publish a brief video on various themes using record desktop and emulator?
lol stop staring you'll go blind :lol:
everyone loves steampunk, it's one of my favorite topics to make anything in, just have a real fascination for anything steampunk.
There is already a couple of videos out there, Frannoe made one with a lot of them shown in one video he's done a few things for this series for me to help out quite a bit, including putting the deb file together, and bug hunt for me for lmde mate, pretty decent fellow he is.
Here is his video on it: http://lmde-frannoe.blogspot.com.es/201 ... a-mdm.html
if you don't understand french just use google translate or install translate this for firefox (the one I use, it works pretty good)

Hopefully I can come up with some more steampunk later on, that's a live wallpaper I did that I thought might look good for mdm also so I ported it over.

I have one question for everyone, would you folks be interested in game like login page as well?
What I have in mind is a tux on a spaceship shooting windows logos as they come down (sort of like the old galaxia style, or space invaders style), the guns would shoot automatically so no buttons to press that would interfere with any functions, tux would move with mouse actions but none of this would interfere with anything else, a score would be kept only for login screens, not saved, and no beating anything to login in, you can always login as normal and click as normal?
Just wondering if anyone would be interested in anything like this or if it would be a waste of time.
Can ya tell I hate windows? :lol:
I can see if I can make them shatter when hits as well if it's doable and it should be.
Let me know. If so when I get time I'll try and make it, if I get enough request for it.
Sam
cdustybk

Post by cdustybk »

Good afternoon everyone!

I was just going to get some thoughts/suggestions on a theme I've started...
screen.jpg
Let me know whatever you feel about it... good or bad.

If you would like to use the theme, you can get it here.
Last edited by cdustybk on Thu May 23, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

whoohoo another themer has joined the ranks, welcome and it looks nice and clean.
Just on questions though, does the users image appear and the language/system/shutdown and other buttons?
actually I'll download it to find out :D
keep up the great work, this one will be extremely nice for those who want to add their own images.
very well done.
Sam

EDIT: ok tested it and it looks extremely nice, nice work on the popup, you should add a screenshot of it with all the toys open.
I'll add a couple here so folks know it does everything.
scr1.jpg
scr2.jpg

Very nice work indeed. :D

The only thing I would suggest is adding these kind of screenshots where you download it so folks can see all it does, it is a nice touch you got going on here and showcasing it would draw more to it, very nice work :D
Last edited by samriggs on Thu May 23, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdustybk

Post by cdustybk »

samriggs wrote:does the users image appear and the language/system/shutdown and other buttons?
Well, it should show everything (no promises), but I'm afraid the toolbar with those buttons is kind of obscure (especially on darker backgrounds). It is the "+" box in the top left. I personally don't change sessions/languages/etc much, but I know others will need those options without being hidden... I want the theme to remain minimalistic while not hiding those important settings.

Also, Sam, your themes look amazing. I amazed that you made such nice themes available so soon!
Last edited by cdustybk on Thu May 23, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

cdustybk: It looks great! I love the way you put all the settings together. The overall look is brilliant too. You should add keyboard navigation, that's very important (I only tested with the emulator.. so maybe you did already, I'm not sure).
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Nope no keyboard navigation yet, already checked.
If you look at Clems clouds one, it has bootbox and mousetrap in his that is used also for keyboard navigavation that would fit in perfectly with this theme.
Plus I'm going to convert all mine over to the same bootbox/mousetrap that Clem used since it works now in LMDE, soon as I get some time to do it here.
That way it'll all be standard for all users across the board and once it's done once in one theme it's just a matter of dropping into all themes (nice and easy), but it does fit perfectly with yours, and the + button is nice, 90% should know what that means, the other 10% will find it in a minute :lol:
I would leave it as is, so the image is the main focus.
The way I got mine done so fast is I already had most of them done from live wallpapers I made, I just ported them over, which only took me a short time to do.
Otherwise it would of taken me a lot longer, the original time to make that steampunk one most like was about one to two weeks to do the artwork for it. Can't really remember now it was about a year or less ago.
PLEASE MAKE MORE.
Your good.
Sam
cdustybk

Post by cdustybk »

Thanks clem!
clem wrote:You should add keyboard navigation, that's very important
Couldn't agree more! I was going to ask, is there a keyboard "scheme" to stick to (e.g. should Mod+L open language settings?), but Sam
samriggs wrote:If you look at Clems clouds one, it has bootbox and mousetrap in his that is used also for keyboard navigavation
was reading my mind. I'll add keyboard support after playing around with mousetrap for a while.

And thanks both of you for the feedback!
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Ya it's a nice layout Clem has in the Clouds one and pretty simple to convert over just for keyboard navigation.
I will be making a template when I get some time to do it for themers so they can just drop it into any theme and it's done.
I just got to get some other stuff done first I'm behind in, if you want to do a quick template feel free to do it.
by the way, nice clean code you got there.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thumbs up cdustybk !! I like clean themes!
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Thought I would show a preview of the Dark Nebula one I'm making in between doing all my other stuff.
Had this idea one night and had to start making it before it left my head and wound up in space somewhere instead of a mdm theme :lol:
The biggest planet on the right will rotate underneath the highlights and shadows of it, I'll be having asteroids moving along of course, maybe a spaceship or two and some sparkling stars, still deciding on the designs of the all the buttons and panels and stuff, but thinking a metallic grey blue brown maybe with some rock texture or something, still working on that part in my head. Barhim if you don't do the mint green one by the time I'm done this one, I do that one next, I just have to get this done before the idea goes away from me, I have absolutely nothing down on paper for this one yet :lol: It's not like me to do this but hey I'll go with it and see what happens in the end, might turn out good might turn out like total crap we'll see.
Here it be so for.
screenshot.jpg
CaptainMark

Post by CaptainMark »

I hope to see a unity-greeter style mdm theme soon, as much as I hate Unity I love the style of its login manager and since mint 12 have always installed unity-greeter onto a fresh install
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

@cdustybk - Nice theme. Looks Elegant and I like the way you have minimized the settings. Changing language, shutdown, restart, etc are not done so frequently and is prudent to keep all settings condensed.
Edit: Good idea to keep the ':' blinking to indicate that the clock is ticking.
cdustybk

Post by cdustybk »

Sam, I like where you're going with the Dark Nebula theme. The background looks great and I like how you're describing the colors. I can't wait to see it finished
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

cdustybk wrote:Sam, I like where you're going with the Dark Nebula theme. The background looks great and I like how you're describing the colors. I can't wait to see it finished
Ya I have a weird way of talking at times, the wife translates for me :lol:
Did you get the mousetrap stuff done?
I got caught up in making those planets last night or I would of made the template for it, hopefully I'll get it done soon for a drop in code so you won't have to do anything for it, unless you get it done first.
I'm still not sure where this theme is going, sort of playing it by ear as I go along.
I hope to see more from you, your good at it and bring a different style then both mine and Clem's, it's nice to see that :D
hb1547

Post by hb1547 »

Hey guys! I took a shot at making a login window:
screen_full.jpg
You can download it here : [url]http://xatal.com/synergy.tar.gz[/url] (v1.2 - February 2014)
Let me know what you think, what problems you have, all that!

Features:
- Clicking on a user name drops down a password field.
- Up/Down keys select users
- The background image can be whatever you want. Just replace "bg.jpg" in the directory with your background.

Some important notes:
- No promises about how well it works, but let me know if you see something weird.
- There's no option to type in a username.
- The "main" messages are limited, but errors should still display.
- If you have enough users to fill the space vertically, you'll probably have problems

I'm really loving the HTML logins, there are really all kinds of cool possibilities now.
Last edited by hb1547 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi hb1547,

This is really cool! A bit of feedback from me:

- Keyboard navigation is crucial! not so much the shortcuts for languages/sessions.etc... but mostly the up and down keys to select different users. The one annoying thing here is that you need the mouse to click the user you want to login as before moving to the keyboard to type the password.
- The lack of username input isn't that much of a problem I think. In fact I don't think it's required at all. If people need that, they can select a different theme.
- I'm not sure it's a good idea to make people wait when things come up... the animation for the users to appear is cool, but it takes a bit of time especially if there's loads of users... I'd say it would be better if it was a shorter animation and if all users came at once in their respective positions (you can do this by making them appear in init() as opposed to mdm_add_user()).
- One of the reasons people like lightdm so much is because the unity-greeter lets you just enter your password... most people have only one user... it's pre-selected, they just type their password. There's no feature in MDM yet to tell you which user to preselect (the last one who logged in ideally) but you can still go ahead and select the first one you added in mdm_add_user()... that way the user sees the first one preselected, he/she just types her password, the enter key.. and w00t, they're in :)

Other than that, general impressions are great. I love the look of your theme and I'm delighted to see new ideas with the javascript and layout of the users. Brilliant work.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

wow really love that wallpaper, and welcome aboard :D
Always great to see another person making these and yours is great.

Clem is there a way to get that users up and down working just on the template theme?
I still haven't had time myself, I was fooling around with it one night for a quick bit, but never got around the tables yet for users so it could be used just as a drop in for the basic template to work off of.
Soon as I get more time I'll see if I can get it going, unless someone else gets it done first. Your's uses tables, the main template doesn't., I'm trying to get it where you don't need tables at all.
Sam
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well, the keybinding is easy to do... it calls whatever function you want with a single line of code using mousetrap.

The how you do it in your function, that's up to you.

Somewhere in your javascript you need to keep track of which user is selected. For instance you can assign each user block an id, like userX... so you iterate in mdm_add_user() and call your blocks user1, user2, user3.. etc..

And when you press the down key you call go_down(), and in go_down(), you check which index you're currently pointing at, do a +1 modulo number of users on it and activate the corresponding user box..

.. does that make any sense?

what I mean by all that, is that this needs to be done by your theme in javascript. How you navigate and what you do when the user presses down is really tied to your layout and theme objects.
cdustybk

Post by cdustybk »

hb1547,

Just wanted to say nice theme! I especially like how you did the settings.

Return to “Your Artwork”