My unofficial logo

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zero Prime

Re: An original Icon

Post by Zero Prime »

I think it's kinda cute.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

For a first attempt at using Inkscape this is a great result - you should definitely keep at it!

I like the concept of the leaf and the stalk; but I can see how it was difficult to balance the thickness of the stalk - you need it thick so people can see it's an 'l', but you'd like it thin so it looks better next to the leaf... tricky!

Also the logo is maybe a little too 'cartoony', which in my opinion doesn't fit with the professional and elegant image that Linux Mint is shooting for. If you could do a variation on this with more delicate looking letters then I think you could be onto something...
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I agree with Jernau (the Master :D ), the idea is nice but a balanced implementation is very difficult: keep on trying, you're on the right track!
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

The first one looks better to me, it looks more like a mint leaf. I like it.
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

I prefer the shape of the leaf in v1, and the dark green stalk in v1. But I really like how you're approaching this and think you've definitely got something here....

If you went back to v1, you could try adjusting the negative space in the 'm' a little to give a larger center column (making it less 'cartoony'), and straightening the top of the 'l' (a little like you've done in v2). :?:
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

I think that v3 is the best yet.

The only improvement I can think of is to slightly reduce the depth of the curves on the ends of the 'l' - I think it would look great if the curve on the bottom right of the 'l' exactly matches the curve at the corresponding point on the 'm' (as though they could connect).

Also, would there be any possibility of creating a 'square' version? One that could be made into an icon (128x128 etc.) or used in place of the current 'square' logo.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

This is the best so far!
//Slightly OT//
My personal favorite is one of the first mint logos which you can still see part of in the splash for GIMP.
//--//
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Jernau

Post by Jernau »

What I meant was that it would be great if there was a version that took up more vertical space in the square icon format. Currently the logo is longer than it is tall, which means that you get blank space above and below the logo when you use it as an icon.

I think that creating a horizontally 'squashed' version (or manipulated in some other way to increase the height compared to the width) could improve how this logo translates to an icon.

It would be great if you could post the SVG of your latest version so that I could start playing around with it in wallpaper designs. :)

Return to “Your Artwork”