Refining Linux Mint official logo

Show your artwork
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Refining Linux Mint official logo

Postby fdinis on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi!
I'm a completely new at Linux and I've recently installed Mint 16 Cinnamon in VirtualBox. It's a great system.
Since I have a degree in graphic design, I thought I could help the Linux team in this regard. Although I like the Linux Mint symbol, it lacks some refinement and coherence betweek pieces, so it can have a more polished brand look. My suggestion would be to keep the Linux Mint symbol and refine the "Linux Mint" text. This way we won't break with the history of the Linux Mint brand but bring it to a more professional level.
I've adjusted the LM symbol slightly (centering elements). I've made the "Linux Mint" text based on the "L" "M" used on the symbol. Note that I made "Mint" larger that the word "Linux". This was intentional.

Original logo:

Logo (1 color variation):

Logo (vertical variation)
fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Refining Linux Mint official logo

Postby austin.texas on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Very creative, and attractive.
Progress and change are good things - without them you go the way of the Roman Empire.
Mint 17 v2 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996

To help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Zorba on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Wow I love these logos man :shock: :shock: What if you make the T a leaf :D

Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby daveinuk on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 pm

I love that first one

The 'T' could do with a little tweak for me though, looks a bit 'Y'ish if you get me . . . . bar that, brilliant stuff :P
Lenovo ThinkPad T61 LM16-64 bit Intel T7500/2.2GHz/Cinammon 1.8 Intel GM965. Toshiba Satellite M70: LM16-32bit. Desktop:LM13 Maya 64 bit, on new Intel 3.2ghz proc/asus MB/8gb RAM
daveinuk
Level 5
Level 5

Postby fdinis on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:46 pm

daveinuk wrote:I love that first one

The 'T' could do with a little tweak for me though, looks a bit 'Y'ish if you get me . . . . bar that, brilliant stuff :P

Thanks for pointing that out. If we see it bring some confusion, I can edit it.
fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fdinis on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:50 pm

Brahim wrote:Wow I love these logos man :shock: :shock: What if you make the T a leaf :D

Hi. Thanks a lot for the feedback. :)
I'm not so sure about the leaf. A mint leaf has "spiked" edges and it's something that is difficult to reproduce on small sized logos
fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fdinis on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:58 pm

austin.texas wrote:Very creative, and attractive.
Progress and change are good things - without them you go the way of the Roman Empire.

Thanks. My thoughts exactly.
I believe this change is small but significant enough to serve as a base to evolve the Linux Mint brand.

Also, I just want to point that I did this work on my first incursion in Inkscape. :)
I hope to have more time the next days to create more pieces. That way we'll get a better feeling of the brand ID use types
fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fdinis on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Here are some tshirt ideas (merchandising)

fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fdinis on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:59 pm

For the official wallpaper, my suggestion would be to choose some images with mint leaves and put the Linux Mint logo in a corner. Something more elegant that the current default wallpaper that comes with Linux Mint with a huge logo. It might look OK in Distrowatch, but this change makes sense because one of the first things for most of Linux Mint users is to change the wallpaper.
The goal here is to use a wallpaper that most users like and can stick with it as default.

fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fdinis on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:01 pm

I also made a test how this new Linux Mint logo would work on the current forum header.

See:
fdinis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zorba on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm

fdinis wrote:For the official wallpaper, my suggestion would be to choose some images with mint leaves and put the Linux Mint logo in a corner. Something more elegant that the current default wallpaper that comes with Linux Mint with a huge logo. It might look OK in Distrowatch, but this change makes sense because one of the first things for most of Linux Mint users is to change the wallpaper.
The goal here is to use a wallpaper that most users like and can stick with it as default.

I agree the default wallpaper and theme should be green too. A typical cinnamon theme would be something like this http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/295 and a typical gtk would be like this h[url]ttp://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/271
[/url]
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other artwork