Refining Linux Mint official logo

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fdinis

Refining Linux Mint official logo

Post by fdinis »

Hi!
I'm a completely new at Linux and I've recently installed Mint 16 Cinnamon in VirtualBox. It's a great system.
Since I have a degree in graphic design, I thought I could help the Linux team in this regard. Although I like the Linux Mint symbol, it lacks some refinement and coherence betweek pieces, so it can have a more polished brand look. My suggestion would be to keep the Linux Mint symbol and refine the "Linux Mint" text. This way we won't break with the history of the Linux Mint brand but bring it to a more professional level.
I've adjusted the LM symbol slightly (centering elements). I've made the "Linux Mint" text based on the "L" "M" used on the symbol. Note that I made "Mint" larger that the word "Linux". This was intentional.

Original logo:

Logo (1 color variation):

Logo (vertical variation)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Refining Linux Mint official logo

Post by austin.texas »

Very creative, and attractive.
Progress and change are good things - without them you go the way of the Roman Empire.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Wow I love these logos man :shock: :shock: What if you make the T a leaf :D

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

I love that first one
The 'T' could do with a little tweak for me though, looks a bit 'Y'ish if you get me . . . . bar that, brilliant stuff :P
fdinis

Post by fdinis »

daveinuk wrote:I love that first one
The 'T' could do with a little tweak for me though, looks a bit 'Y'ish if you get me . . . . bar that, brilliant stuff :P
Thanks for pointing that out. If we see it bring some confusion, I can edit it.
fdinis

Post by fdinis »

Brahim wrote:Wow I love these logos man :shock: :shock: What if you make the T a leaf :D

Hi. Thanks a lot for the feedback. :)
I'm not so sure about the leaf. A mint leaf has "spiked" edges and it's something that is difficult to reproduce on small sized logos
fdinis

Post by fdinis »

austin.texas wrote:Very creative, and attractive.
Progress and change are good things - without them you go the way of the Roman Empire.
Thanks. My thoughts exactly.
I believe this change is small but significant enough to serve as a base to evolve the Linux Mint brand.

Also, I just want to point that I did this work on my first incursion in Inkscape. :)
I hope to have more time the next days to create more pieces. That way we'll get a better feeling of the brand ID use types
fdinis

Post by fdinis »

Here are some tshirt ideas (merchandising)

fdinis

Post by fdinis »

For the official wallpaper, my suggestion would be to choose some images with mint leaves and put the Linux Mint logo in a corner. Something more elegant that the current default wallpaper that comes with Linux Mint with a huge logo. It might look OK in Distrowatch, but this change makes sense because one of the first things for most of Linux Mint users is to change the wallpaper.
The goal here is to use a wallpaper that most users like and can stick with it as default.

fdinis

Post by fdinis »

I also made a test how this new Linux Mint logo would work on the current forum header.

See:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

fdinis wrote:For the official wallpaper, my suggestion would be to choose some images with mint leaves and put the Linux Mint logo in a corner. Something more elegant that the current default wallpaper that comes with Linux Mint with a huge logo. It might look OK in Distrowatch, but this change makes sense because one of the first things for most of Linux Mint users is to change the wallpaper.
The goal here is to use a wallpaper that most users like and can stick with it as default.

I agree the default wallpaper and theme should be green too. A typical cinnamon theme would be something like this http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/295 and a typical gtk would be like this h[url]ttp://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/271
[/url]

Return to “Your Artwork”