Firefox Welcome Page

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Firefox Welcome Page

Post by clem »

Hi,

I'd like to change the welcome page of Firefox to something a little more interactive.

A simple flash page with the new mint logo and the following links:

- Software Portal (link to http://www.linuxmint.com/software )
- Forum
- Wiki
- Official Website
- Release Notes
- Store
- Support Center

Since our browser comes with Flash preinstalled there's no reason why we shouldn't take advantage of the extra interactivity it gives us.

If somebody wants to work on that, please post here.

Thanks,
Clem .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

New logo:

http://linuxmint.com/pictures/mint-logo.svg

Please don't use the keyphrase (it's not final yet).

Clem
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

BlahBlah_X wrote:BTW, for some reason the logo displays really wierd on that page you just posted the link to and I can't download it with Firefox.
Yes, there are pieces of the logo scattered in the page... :shock:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Save the svg file locally and open it with the Gimp.

Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

yeah right-click and save as

also inkscape is a great app for editing svgs... for gimp you gotta install a svg plugin (available in repos)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Also to add to that, when you view the svg in a browser its not showing the dark background that is set in the svg. You can see it properly in inkscape.

Have fun!
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

yeah that really would be great...

say carlos are you still working on the site? can I help with that if you are?

can we make this flash intro in-theme with the site?

clem, can we coordinate the release of cassandra and the new website? (just for fun) :lol: :lol:
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

A second beta for cassandra is going to come out. I don't think mintart will be ready in time for the stable Cassandra, but we can have everything ready for Linux Mint 3.1.

Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

Oh I think we'll be able to put at least part of the whole theme together... just give us a heads up when you plan to make the release :D
-Clem
facade47

Post by facade47 »

BlahBlah_X! That's really pretty! :shock:

Well, here's my no-where-near-finished, feeble attempt =P
http://www.swfup.com/file/10434
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

sweet facade47.
It looks really professional, clean, crisp, sweet mate.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

really interesting :)
but for me, this logo has a problem in the shadow area. It would be urgent to make it better.
i imagine I am not the only one who see here something unperfect... I fear my eyes catch only that, everytime I open my PC :D
thank you and sorry, especially because I think all of you make a great job here
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well done guys, you're on the right track!

BlahBlah_X's version looks more finished but I much prefer Facade47's animation.

Here's my advice:

- Use the vector form of the logo instead of a bitmap so it won't pixelize when scrolled or zoommed out. (that's not 100% English, but you got it right ? :)).

- Facade47's animation is really cool. Let's stick to that: logo with "Welcome to Cassandra" under it... then links appear.

- Have a little something moving when you mouse over one of the links.

Thanks to you both for your work on this, we should have something pretty cool soon I guess.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Alsaphil, can you draw on the logo (red circle or something) to show us exactly where there's a problem, and describe the problem also.

We spoke about it on the phone, still I can't see the problem with the "shadow" you mention...

Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

and maybe carlos could give some final thoughts on the matter as it goes on...
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

facade:

I prefer this solution but it will need some touch ups of course :D

1st the logo and the letters are pixelised, just as clem said...
2nd PLEASE do not use Times New Roman or equivalent fonts... give us at least Sans/Arial :lol:

It wouldn't hurt to have some kind of a gentle and simple background... maybe a 10% opacity large logo covering some quarter of the image... or something ... just so it's not blank white bg :?
-Clem
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Good job guys! I don't think we are quite there yet, but heading in the right direction. Here are my thoughts:

facade's version http://www.swfup.com/file/10434: I like the style, it's super clean and simple. Also very animated. :D

Issues: Its too slow. Initially most people will think its cool seeing the logo move around and the bullet points drop in. But as you keep using it, it will become annoying.
Right now it take approximately 15 seconds to get to the guide. It should be shortened to 5 sec. The animation isn't interesting enough to hold a user for that length of time.

Recommendations: Instead of motion how about quick fade-ins. Move your hands in the air in a side to side motion, to get a sense of timing. When you move your hand slowly does it feel right? You will see when you move quickly it feels better. You that sense to help how quickly something should move or fade in.
I know your using a slight gray on the background to make the logo stand out, how about doing a darker gradient from the to to white? You be the judge when your trying it out.

blahblahx version http://www.swfup.com/file/10428: its quick and straight to the point, Also he did some nice details on the top with a diagonal lines and sort of a shininess to the whole player. Its uses a colored background.

Issues: The mint leaves on the bottom makes the whole page feel old and almost looks like a salad :wink: . Needs alittle more life to the animation.

Recommendations: The text on the top should fade and drop in instead of dropping in and going over the logo text.
Some people might be turned off by the colored background, so maybe lightening it up might help.
Lastly, spacing out the button links maybe 2 columns instead of one, will make it easier to read. Feel free to fancy them up just a tad.

Issues for both: Also use the the proper logo typeface that is colored that clem provided in the svg. Download and use the new Liberation fonts that Red Hat has so generously donated to the community. sans or serif is just too simple. Use your creativity and sense of style to see what what you like.

All in all, a really good start for both, lets see what you both can come back with.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
facade47

Post by facade47 »

Thanks for all the comments!! :D
clem wrote:- Use the vector form of the logo instead of a bitmap so it won't pixelize when scrolled or zoommed out. (that's not 100% English, but you got it right ? :)).
lol I understood it =P ... Unfortuantely, Macromedia was stupid and didn't include an svg import into MX 2004 (by the way, I hate their stupid-bug-filled-no-good-piece-of-junk software ... thank God adobe took it :roll: </rant>:twisted:)
I had to open the svg in Illustrator, fix what it didn't recognize, import the ai file into MX, and then fix what that didn't recognize. I hope the derived logo isn't too far off from the original..
clem wrote:- Have a little something moving when you mouse over one of the links.
Help! I can't think of anything! glowing letters? A little ball that zooms around the text? =P
NiKsaVel wrote:2nd PLEASE do not use Times New Roman or equivalent fonts... give us at least Sans/Arial :lol:
Haha! I suppose y'all are worth more than Times New Roman =P .. I used the Liberation font as carlos suggested
carlos wrote:Its too slow. Initially most people will think its cool seeing the logo move around and the bullet points drop in. But as you keep using it, it will become annoying.
I definitely realized this... I added a skip button, because I wasn't sure how to cut it down to five seconds without fading straight from "Welcome" to "Here are the Links!" =P I did cut a lot of frames, though
carlos wrote:I know your using a slight gray on the background to make the logo stand out, how about doing a darker gradient from the to to white? You be the judge when your trying it out.
I wasn't too sure about using gradients, since it might look choppy on a plain background (the web page)... I took niksavel's recommendation and put a faded logo in the background.. It seems to help a lot :D

The still-unfinished file:
http://swfup.com/file/10504
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We're getting close :)
facade47

Post by facade47 »

This time the buttons have animation, and send you to the webpages.. except "Release Notes" takes you to the BETA014 notes..

http://swfup.com/file/10783

Return to “Your Artwork”