Xsplash in Mint 8

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Xsplash in Mint 8

Post by clem »

As you probably know, Ubuntu introduced a new boot splash called xsplash. Although it's technically good it's poorly documented and at the moment it's not configurable.

In Mint 8 or Ubuntu 9.10, you can test xsplash by running "sudo xsplash" and then press Escape or Ctrl+C to exit.

Xsplash uses the pictures located in /usr/share/images/xsplash.

Have a look in there. The backgrounds are pretty easy to customize.

For the animation, you need a multiframe PNG file.

One way to quickly generate one is to create an animated GIF (if you want quick results you can use this online throbber generator: http://www.ajaxload.info ) and then to use a program to generate a png for each frame of the animation (I'm a n00b when it comes to artwork design so I only found a Windows freeware in my laborious search on this: http://www.nigels.com/exorcist/exorst14.zip).

Once you've got a PNG for each frame, place them in an empty folder and use the following command to put them all into one multiframe PNG file:

Code: Select all

convert `ls *` -append out.png
Open the resulting out.png file with Gimp and eventually transform white areas/backgrounds into Alpha transparent. Then save the result and test it:

Code: Select all

sudo xsplash -t out.png -f 11
Note that the -t option lets you define the animation image and that the -f option tells xsplash how many frames are in it. So in the example above, I assumed we had 11 frames.

When you contribute multiframe animations back to the community, don't forget to specify how many frames they have. I personally put the number in the filename: for instance circle2-7.png is my 2nd try at making a circle animation and it's got 7 frames.

Clem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Xsplah in Mint 8

Post by clem »

Attached are a few animations I've been working on. Please send your feedback or animations. I'm planning to make progress2-7.png the default one in Mint 8, unless someone comes with something better of course.

Clem.
beauvin

Re: Xsplash in Mint 8

Post by beauvin »

Is there a minimum and/or maximum size, because i was thinking something like the thing below, made for the promotion forum. Also can i use xsplash on mint 7 too or is it mint 8 only?

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I don't think there's any maximums. No idea if it works on Mint 7, I guess you can try to backport it.

Clem.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

They're ok, but I find they're all rather pixellated and blocky, while the default ubuntu one is quite smooth.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I agree. I made my best for now and I'll stick to that for Mint 8 RC but I rely on the community to produce better artwork for this. Hopefully the information I put in this thread is enough for artists to understand how this works. If anything is unclear don't hesitate to ask.

Clem.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

I think I may just have to try at this... don't know how the end result will look though.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Xsplah in Mint 8

Post by ibm450 »

clem wrote:Attached are a few animations I've been working on. Please send your feedback or animations. I'm planning to make progress2-7.png the default one in Mint 8, unless someone comes with something better of course.

Clem.
how you meant to view these in action?
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

ibm450: On an Ubuntu 9.10 base, run "sudo xsplash -t filename.png -f number_of_frames", so for instance: "sudo xsplash -t progress2-7.png -f 7"

Clem.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cheers clem, i had a feeling that 9.10 needed to be installed. running 9.04 atm.

ill wait until LM8 becomes a distro as my LM7 on this system is running sweet, made to many tweaks and file mod's to make it work the way it is atm so cant really afford / have time to switch over to ubuntu 9.10 and start all over again :oops:

keep up the great work...looking forward to LM8 :mrgreen:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Here is my first idea for the xsplash throbber:

Let me know what you think.

Here is the compressed file with a script to run it.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2674252/animations.tar.gz
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

One thing I don't like about these style of splash screens is the pendulum/ping-pong like sequence (right, left, then right); I don't remember which side it starts on, having tried to ignore it
--I first saw this effect on Libranet distribution, and I was getting a headache watching it bounce back and forth..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libranet

I would much prefer a simple progression left to right, similar to what you get when you see the progress of a download
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I would just like to see a smaller logo displaying at boot with a thinner progress bar. The logo in the last release just seemed too large to me. I just want to see Mint have the most professional look possible.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

exploder wrote:I would just like to see a smaller logo displaying at boot with a thinner progress bar. The logo in the last release just seemed too large to me. I just want to see Mint have the most professional look possible.
+1

I would dare to say that the Mint logo should be smaller and less "in your face" in all of Mint's artwork
matthewnportner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by matthewnportner »

i so far like yours the most dlkreations. Then my second fave is 2-7 third favorite is the one with one vertical and one horizontal gear.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Couple more:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2674252/Wheel.tar.gz

And another one that I don't have the animation for preview but it look similar to the Ubuntu one:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2674252/progress.tar.gz
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Don, that is really cool!
Dalamar

Post by Dalamar »

I associate Linux Mint with tea, so maybe the logo over some expanding ripples would be nice and unique.
BladeWS

Post by BladeWS »

dlkreations wrote:Here is my first idea for the xsplash throbber:

[...]

Let me know what you think.

Here is the compressed file with a script to run it.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2674252/animations.tar.gz
Well done my friend, but -don't know why, it reminds me of Windows XP :roll:

Return to “Your Artwork”