Will Mint use the new Chromium logo?

Show your artwork
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Will Mint use the new Chromium logo?

Postby t3g on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:23 pm

When Linux Mint (Ubuntu and Debian) installs Chromium, it uses the icon from the Mint-X theme right? If so, are there plans to upgrade the program icon to use the one that comes with Chromium or will the Mint team have to manually add it to a future release?

http://www.howtonew.com/new-chromium-logo-looks-great
t3g
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Will Mint use the new Chromium logo?

Postby AlbertP on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:44 pm

The Linux version of Google Chrome is still using the old logo, so maybe when Chrome switches, Chromium will do the same. But if you use Mint-X theme, you indeed need an updated theme to include this. Other themes let Chrome/Chromium use its own logo.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby t3g on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Chromium is currently at version 10 and version 11 and above will use the new logo that I embedded. If you were to install a beta or nightly of Chromium, the blue logo is now default.
t3g
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Halzen on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:58 am

For what it's worth, I think the new logo sucks, but it doesn't really affect me much -- I'm using Faenza icons. :P
Acer TimelineX: 13" LED, Intel Core i3 2.53Ghz dual-core, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD GMA graphics
Arch Linux + Openbox
Halzen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MALsPa on Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:55 pm

I like the old one better. In Mint 9, where I'm running KDE4, I made a copy of the icon at /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/chromium-browser.svg so I could use it in some other distros where I already have a newer Chromium version.

Also, found a set of old Google Chrome .png images at http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/google-c ... 166-5.html.

I don't know why, but the "new" 2D icons for either of those browsers don't appeal to me.

Gotta love Linux -- you can always change these things!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby t3g on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:15 pm

From trying out the Chrome/Chromium 11 beta, the new icons seem to fit better in the Ubuntu Unity and Gnome 3 panel on the left. The old ones look too bulky in that and even the desktop. I'm running Julia and the new logo for Chromium looks pretty hip in the favorites section of the main mintmenu.
t3g
Level 2
Level 2

Postby DrHu on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Does it matter!

Don't mind, one way or t'other..
I mean, I don't mind that the Linux or other OS distributors (Microsoft, Apple) decide to use the application developer's logos, that is fair enough; but if they are allowed to change it to match the style of the OS, that is also fair enough
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other artwork