Will Mint use the new Chromium logo?

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t3g

Will Mint use the new Chromium logo?

Post by t3g »

When Linux Mint (Ubuntu and Debian) installs Chromium, it uses the icon from the Mint-X theme right? If so, are there plans to upgrade the program icon to use the one that comes with Chromium or will the Mint team have to manually add it to a future release?

http://www.howtonew.com/new-chromium-logo-looks-great
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Will Mint use the new Chromium logo?

Post by AlbertP »

The Linux version of Google Chrome is still using the old logo, so maybe when Chrome switches, Chromium will do the same. But if you use Mint-X theme, you indeed need an updated theme to include this. Other themes let Chrome/Chromium use its own logo.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
t3g

Post by t3g »

Chromium is currently at version 10 and version 11 and above will use the new logo that I embedded. If you were to install a beta or nightly of Chromium, the blue logo is now default.
Halzen

Post by Halzen »

For what it's worth, I think the new logo sucks, but it doesn't really affect me much -- I'm using Faenza icons. :P
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I like the old one better. In Mint 9, where I'm running KDE4, I made a copy of the icon at /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/chromium-browser.svg so I could use it in some other distros where I already have a newer Chromium version.

Also, found a set of old Google Chrome .png images at http://www.iconspedia.com/icon/google-c ... 166-5.html.

I don't know why, but the "new" 2D icons for either of those browsers don't appeal to me.

Gotta love Linux -- you can always change these things!
t3g

Post by t3g »

From trying out the Chrome/Chromium 11 beta, the new icons seem to fit better in the Ubuntu Unity and Gnome 3 panel on the left. The old ones look too bulky in that and even the desktop. I'm running Julia and the new logo for Chromium looks pretty hip in the favorites section of the main mintmenu.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Does it matter!

Don't mind, one way or t'other..
I mean, I don't mind that the Linux or other OS distributors (Microsoft, Apple) decide to use the application developer's logos, that is fair enough; but if they are allowed to change it to match the style of the OS, that is also fair enough

Return to “Your Artwork”