Needs an effective DE switcher with LM

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
abnor

Needs an effective DE switcher with LM

Post by abnor »

It's absolutely abnormal situation if Linux Mint developers hope choose one DE as best & prefered DE for using it for any users! (As I see on the Blog's record: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1985)
Polls like this are making a disruption in the work and an additional division in the community. They provoke 'holy wars' - which is already too much in this world!..

IMHO, it's all too much and not necessary.

Not only that hasty, ill-conceived and ill-advised decision of Gnome team, it is moving to release 3 with no compatibility with the environment and library for release 2, it made a schism in the community of Linux users! But it led to currently problems of uncompatibility for desktop environments...

Nevertheless, the current state of affairs should be take more caution to interested personas and get more wisdom in the choice of paths in the future...
I believe that we should not focus only on limited set of 1/2/3 DE. Necessary to achieve full compatibility with the operating system work with at least 4 .. 5 is clearly preferred DE with many users. At least it's MATE, Cinnamon, LXDE, XFCE, OpenBox

To realise it needs an usable DE switcher. It can be an Toools with LM Control Center.

For example, can be Tools like it:
=================
Choose your prefered DE:
[*] MATE
[ ] Cinnamon
[ ] LXDE
[ ] XFCE
[ ] OpenBox
Button: ["INSTALL and switch to..."]
=================

This Tools can be simple GTK based application. I think, it's true way to best Linux Mint distros... ;)
(I shortly wrote about it here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 34#p573334).

To the LinuxMint should be introduced very simple and user friendly tool to select and install as 'one-click' any of your favorite DE. It is necessary for simple working, as 'in box' install -- without any 'tambourines dancing'...

Do it NOW - it's unattainable goal?.. ;)

For begin it's maybe DE set with tree LM used DE such is MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE. On future it technology can take other DEs...

You are fan of KDE? :0)
No, KDE cannot true way for LM! It's because KDE are another technical way, and environmental based on other library... It's as minimal reason for useless KDE on LM. And KDE is very 'fat' DE too...

Other technical reasons there are presents too...

P.S. Excuse me for poor English, it's are not native language for me...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Needs an effective DE switcher with LM

Post by xenopeek »

abnor wrote:No, KDE cannot true way for LM! It's because KDE are another technical way, and environmental based on other library... It's as minimal reason for useless KDE on LM. And KDE is very 'fat' DE too...
I'm not a fan of KDE (too slow and too unwieldy for me). But if your idea isn't inclusive of KDE, I think it needs some more thought. A signification percentage of the Linux Mint users do enjoy KDE.
abnor

Post by abnor »

xenopeek wrote: I'm not a fan of KDE (too slow and too unwieldy for me). But if your idea isn't inclusive of KDE, I think it needs some more thought. A signification percentage of the Linux Mint users do enjoy KDE.
KDE based on QT, other DE who I listed above, was use GTK/Gnome...
Linux OS based QT/KDE and OS based GTK/Gnome it's significantly different operating systems. Or not? :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

abnor

Post by abnor »

xenopeek wrote:Have a read about Qt on Ubuntu: http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news ... lopers.ars
Hm... I known that QT uses on Ubintu and Mint! :)

Note. I have many years of experience using Linux Mint. Precisely because its Mint Menu and Control Center are best, very well designed and easy usable software. (Today, Cinnamon is not as well thought-out and it's just no easy. This is not any comparison with the classical DE and controls on the Linux Mint...)

I know a lot of operating systems and DE and I have opportunity to compare and choose from the most similar OS on many existing in this world for the last few years. I know many lot of Linux distributions, various assemblies from different Linux communities. Some I use in my practice on regular basis. Including rary OS alike PuppyLinux.

Moreover, I do not judge on this subject just based on personal preferences, alike means: 'I like it' or 'I dislike it'. I speak about the ease of management of operating systems, who is have basis of estimates:
-- Whether it's in the OS intuitive based and are lightness use it?
-- Whether it be running faster for your work?
-- Are It not difficult for user and it does not irritate the user?

On the other hand, if some DE has control who is annoying user ill-conceived placement, who has uncomfortable grouping of controls and so on, what it not might be "modern" and "advanced" technology and operating systems... ;)

To me personally the least important of all is whether the product is 'fashionable' and alleged its are 'evolution'. I just appreciate the convenience and working speed of the OS -- it's paramount. Therefore, I fully understand those people who in the present world situation ready to go even JWM! And especially in the OpenBox! ;) And I have been using the netbook OS with OpenBox and I very happy works with it!.. :)

Therefore, I strongly object to the Linux Mint future oriented only to one kind of DE, supposedly the most promising and who can be 'popular' among the masses!

But the achievement possible to reconfigure the operating system on one or another DE, but certainly "one click" and without any problems, so this was a huge achievement, IMHO.

I'm not against that potentially the Mint will have the opportunity to change the DE who uses QT-based and GTK-based DEs. But only if it is achievable without any problems, some alike an inconsistencies in the programs.

If it possible, I'll be glad to see in the above panel an option:

[] KDE (Note, it based on QT library and it additionally take xxx Mb on your HD...)

That's something like it...
(Sorry for the large text...)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”