Please Change Boot Splash - Grub Menu - Better Options

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Please Change Boot Splash - Grub Menu - Better Options

Postby DasFox on Fri May 11, 2012 1:22 am

Hi Guys,

I hope the Mint team will finally change the Grub Menu and bootup... People have been asking for years and nothing has ever happened and it's really sad... :(

I know that the Ubuntu approach to this boot process is that it's suppose to be so much faster, this is why it's black, but the truth is the bootup isn't always that fast and sitting looking at nothing but black is not exactly a great way for a bootup process to look...

The inexperienced who don't know or care should at least be greeted by a splash that Mint makes that might have some type of animation so people get the feel like something is happening, rather then litterally sitting in the dark guessing what's going on and then for the experienced a better option then simply removing 'quiet' from the bootup so that you see a decent console bootup, like Arch or Slackware has and of course a nice reboot, showing processes shutting down, again like Arch or Slack has for example...

Also for those that dual boot, Mint should really come up with a nice Grub splash each time they put out a new Mint version, to me this comes from the idea of what is suppose to be the Mint slogan of elegance...

So come on guys, where's the Mint elegance at in the Grub Menu and the bootup/reboot process?

Thanks...
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Please Change Boot Splash - Grub Menu - Better Options

Postby xenopeek on Fri May 11, 2012 1:40 am

See this idea, especially sunewbie's comment with quote from Clem explaining the problem with boot splash: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2302

Be sure also to check out the rest of the Community website (ideas, tutorials, and hardware and software reviews) :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DasFox on Sat May 12, 2012 1:46 am

I've been around Mint since the day Mint was born, I know all about this;

Here's a comment on that too;

With a black splash, we don’t achieve as much eye candy of course but at least we get a decent looking boot sequence for everybody.

I'm sorry whoever said this, but I hardly believe you are speaking for everyone, since I've known this problem from it's very beginnings, meaning Plymouth and there's hardly much of anyone statisfied with it...

If that's what is called decent I'd hate to see terrible, LOL, this so called black nothingness is pathetic I'm sorry to say...

There needs to be something displayed and Mint should create their own splash as I mentioned, along with the abiltiy for experienced users to tweak it, or anyone for that matter, so you get also have if you choose to see a proper console bootup to watch the process, as well as seeing the shutdown process when you restart, or shutdown, to know everything is working as it should...

THANKS
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Postby phill1978 on Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 am

DasFox wrote:I know that the Ubuntu approach to this boot process is that it's suppose to be so much faster, this is why it's black, but the truth is the bootup isn't always that fast and sitting looking at nothing but black is not exactly a great way for a bootup process to look...

The inexperienced who don't know or care should at least be greeted by a splash that Mint makes that might have some type of animation so people get the feel like something is happening, rather then litterally sitting in the dark guessing what's going on and then for the experienced a better option then simply removing 'quiet' from the bootup so that you see a decent console bootup, like Arch or Slackware has and of course a nice reboot, showing processes shutting down, again like Arch or Slack has for example...

Also for those that dual boot, Mint should really come up with a nice Grub splash each time they put out a new Mint version, to me this comes from the idea of what is suppose to be the Mint slogan of elegance...

So come on guys, where's the Mint elegance at in the Grub Menu and the bootup/reboot process?

Thanks...

im fairly wobbly on this stuff but i simply looked on

http://linuxmint-art.org
then went to 'bootsplash themes'

then followed some instructions that were in one of the themes i liked, and it worked perfect :D

http://linuxmint-art.org/content/show.p ... ent=141061

when extracting to the themes folder you probably wont have permission, just manually go to the themes folder icon right click and run as administrator. then make sure your extracted files are pasted into that folder.

To install it:

1*Extract the content of this file in /lib/plymouth/themes

2*Execute:

$ sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/spinfinity-mint-01/spinfinity-mint-01.plymouth 100

$ sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/spinfinity-mint-02/spinfinity-mint-02.plymouth 100

$ sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/mint-logo/mint-logo.plymouth 100

$ sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth **(and choose the number for spinfinity-mint-01, spinfinity-mint-02 or mint-logo )**

$ sudo update-initramfs -u

3*Restart your system.

dont worry about where the number is ^ on the last command, it asks you when you have run it :wink:
there are many more but i really liked spinfinity 01 ! ((good work maloy whoever you are))

--------------

Now in reply to your rant, i do agree it would be nice to have a few 'easy to access for noobs' boot splash themes and an add theme button that manages things. Personally speaking getting that very simple thing to work above was more about finding clearly laid out instructions !!! that is what's tricky to find. The satisfaction from running commands and getting things working was much greater than just simply selecting from a menu like a typical low interest windows user would do!

i suppose it comes down to how much you enjoy creating/tinkering VS just wanting something to work insanely easy with no searching/learning curve?

hope the above works for you :D
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas