Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Postby phill1978 on Sat May 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi,

I was using Cairo-dock and the shutdown applet allows for a timer to be set before actually shutting down! i think this would integrate with the shutdown button on cinnamon really nicely. I wasnt keen on cairo dock as it was too busy and didnt fit with cinnamon too well but the features there are really smart (like drop box)

so yea, a nice simple ShutDown -> "Delay shutdown for:" then have a slider like the audio track position where you can set for 30mins, 2hrs or 6? whatever!

in the past on windows i used a more complex shutdown timer with great success as i have a fairly average internet connection and downloading large files can take a good few hours which is fine but i look at the time left and think.. hmm this should only take about 1 hr so il set the timer for 2 just for good measure and go to bed / go to work and feel confident the computer is off and not wasting energy :)

it also helps for some users i suppose who use linux for TV and might want to use the shutdown like a tv sleep function :mrgreen:
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Postby veggen on Sat May 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I like your idea. Integrating a timer into the shutdown menu indeed sounds smart. In the meantime, you can use the "shutdown" command in terminal. It's very simple and does just what you need.

Examples:
Code: Select all
sudo shutdown -P +30
shuts down in 30mins

Code: Select all
sudo shutdown -P 18:30
shuts down at 18:30
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Postby phill1978 on Sun May 20, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks Veggen !

That command is really helpful and so simple too. I can see this being a quick win for many and it does indeed separate cinnamon from other distro`s and their desktops, in fact I already love the way cinnamon feels.

Many of the cairo dock applets could be integrated cleanly with the new UI to make for a more slick experience but for starters all that is needed for the shutdown timer is write that command into the cinnamon menu and use existing graphics from the audio player (unless im oversimplifying things?

How do we officially ask for these functions? do i go onto the cinnamon website or do people on here pass the information along?

thanks again :)
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas