Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
phill1978

Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Post by phill1978 »

Hi,

I was using Cairo-dock and the shutdown applet allows for a timer to be set before actually shutting down! i think this would integrate with the shutdown button on cinnamon really nicely. I wasnt keen on cairo dock as it was too busy and didnt fit with cinnamon too well but the features there are really smart (like drop box)

so yea, a nice simple ShutDown -> "Delay shutdown for:" then have a slider like the audio track position where you can set for 30mins, 2hrs or 6? whatever!

in the past on windows i used a more complex shutdown timer with great success as i have a fairly average internet connection and downloading large files can take a good few hours which is fine but i look at the time left and think.. hmm this should only take about 1 hr so il set the timer for 2 just for good measure and go to bed / go to work and feel confident the computer is off and not wasting energy :)

it also helps for some users i suppose who use linux for TV and might want to use the shutdown like a tv sleep function :mrgreen:
veggen

Re: Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Post by veggen »

I like your idea. Integrating a timer into the shutdown menu indeed sounds smart. In the meantime, you can use the "shutdown" command in terminal. It's very simple and does just what you need.

Examples:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -P +30
shuts down in 30mins

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -P 18:30
shuts down at 18:30
phill1978

Re: Would like to see basic shutdown timer for cinnamon

Post by phill1978 »

Thanks Veggen !

That command is really helpful and so simple too. I can see this being a quick win for many and it does indeed separate cinnamon from other distro`s and their desktops, in fact I already love the way cinnamon feels.

Many of the cairo dock applets could be integrated cleanly with the new UI to make for a more slick experience but for starters all that is needed for the shutdown timer is write that command into the cinnamon menu and use existing graphics from the audio player (unless im oversimplifying things?

How do we officially ask for these functions? do i go onto the cinnamon website or do people on here pass the information along?

thanks again :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”