The Bugzilla post, with attached font files, is here: Bug 427791: Liberation fonts need to be updated to latest font
For some reason, the .tar.gz attached to that bug downloads doubly gzipped (in other words, it's actually a .tar.gz.gz but misnamed).
(I'm posting this here rather than in Code & Packaging because I don't actually have a .deb or a patch created yet; I've been installing these manually. I may very well create one later this week, though...)
And in case you're curious what's updated in this version of the fonts, here's what I've found so far:
- Full hinting! The fonts look much cleaner on screen. (I've made them my default system fonts now...)
- Monospaced font now makes O and 0 distinguishable.
- Serif Italic has Cyrillic Ш and Щ correct (they had been swapped in the original release).