[Enh] Kernel version locked by default

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
saegeek

[Enh] Kernel version locked by default

Post by saegeek »

Hi,
Yesterday i experienced numerous of bugs after a Linux Mint upgrade (a suggested auto update) where linux kernel fails hangs @ update initramsfs or something like.
I tried to reinstall a kernel but all the versions (3.3.4 stable; 3.4 etc...) fails to install because of the "initramfs installation hang bug".
Then i was unable to boot because of some commands i picked on the internet that removed the initrd file.
This is why i suggest to lock the kernel version by default for further versions.
"Updating a kernel" is like "installing a new driver on linux" (something "impossible to do" for most people) so this should be a manual task for advanced users (Open synaptic-->search for "linux-image"-->"unlock version")
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [Enh] Kernel version locked by default

Post by xenopeek »

Ouch, that sounds like a unwelcome problem. If you got an update yesterday, I guess you are not using LMDE but the Linux Mint Main Edition? By default, that does not install kernel updates unless you have enabled level 4 and 5 updates in the Update Manager.

Possibly, if you have added some PPA or repository for a newer kernel, you may get a kernel update that way?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: [Enh] Kernel version locked by default

Post by xenopeek »

I've split your problem with dpkg and initramfs into a separate topic into the support area of the forums, here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=102996. Hopefully somebody can assist with that.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”