Applications Menu

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Applications Menu

Postby Basspick3r79 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:56 pm

I apologize if this has already been suggested. Although I did a cursory search of "Applications Menu", I didn't really see this anywhere. This is my first post on the forum.

I've noticed something while just looking in the Applications Menu and I thought it would be a good idea to change the default way the mouseover effects are handled. As it is now, if you click on one of the options, such as "Office" or "Internet", but you accidentally move your mouse over one of the other options, it will automatically move you to that option's sub-menu. My suggestion, obviously, would be to change this to where if you click on one of the options then it will stay selected until you click another option, or until you click "All", which would release any previously selected option. In addendum to that, when you back out of the Mint "Daryna" menu (since Daryna is the version of Mint I'm booted up in), you could also have all options deselected to go back to a fresh menu.

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps out.
Basspick3r79
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Applications Menu

Postby clem on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:30 am

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. The very first releases of mintMenu actually used mouse clicks to browse between categories. This was changed after some time for a mouse_over behaviour. It was always configurable but in gconf. I can't remember exactly in which version we introduced the preference window (3.0, 3.1...) but it's definitely there in Romeo with mintMenu 3.2. Right click the Daryna button and select preferences. You should see an option called "hover", in there you can define the delay for the mouse over, or you can even deactivate it, in which case mintMenu willl basically use mouse clicks to change from one category to another.

For your second point I think it's actually better the way it is now. I like the menu to remember where I am, especially if that doesn't make me waste any time (same scenario whether it's from a fresh show_all configuration or from another subcategory).

Thanks,
Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Basspick3r79 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Thank you for your response, Clem. And thank you for the heads up on the menu options.

For my own personal use I'd like to reprogram the menu in order to include the mouseover effects and selection effects. Could you tell me which files would I need to modify? Also, would these files also include the code to modify the menu to not have the sub-menu's selected?
Basspick3r79
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:59 pm

If you're good in Python you can modify everything by tweaking the files in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas