I do enjoy the software manager in linux mint but have noticed some things I think will make it even better.
1. After i've searched for a software or browsing a category, I may not wish to view information about the software that I already know that I want to install, so why not an install button on the search results page. And if its already installed, an uninstall button.
2. I have noticied a that software already installed on the system shows up as not being installed in software manager. Some examples of software that came preinstalled with the system but show as not installed in software manager - libreoffice (though it showed the individual components as being installed), apache2, php5, mysql-server.
3. I have noticed that the search box runs the searches as you type, it would be nice to have an option to disable this and only search when i press enter.
4. It would also be nice to click the install button and not have the installations start running at that moment, but rather when i possibly click a button which could be placed to the right of the ongoing actions percentage bar to install all requested installations. This would also fix the annoyance of having to type the root password to authorize each and every install or uninstall.
5. Would like to suggest some new categories like 'Desktops' and 'Collections'. These two categories would simply list meta packages for desktop environments like KDE, Xfce, LXDE, etc in 'Desktops' and for meta packages for software collections like LAMP, OpenOffice, LibreOffice.
6. It would be nice to have an install and unstall history in the software manager, similar to the same option being in the update manager.
7. Additional subcategories in Internet (Browser, Download Manager, FTP, HTML Editor, Remote Desktop), Sound and Video (Audio Player, Video Player, CD/DVD Burning, Editor/Converter), Graphics (Image Editing), Office (Office Suites, Word Processors, Document Viewers), Accessories (File Manager, Archiving, Password Manager, Backup Utilities), System Tools (Install and Update, Terminal, Disk Utilities, Virtual Machines), Science and Education (For Kids, Maths, Typing Tutor, Maps, Calculator), and Programming (IDE, Compiler, File Comparison).
8. Noted if i searched in Internet, the Internet breadcrumb is no longer visible.
9. AVIDemux is classified under Graphics when it should be listed under Sound and Video, and I saw calculators in Science and Education when I think they are more appropriate in Accessories.
Update Manager Improvements
1. It would be nice to be able to select and delect update packages by their level number.
2. Not sure if this must happen, but it would be nice if the update packages didnt have to fresh its entire system when i decide to 'ignore updates for this package'.
3. After the list is refreshed, it resorts the list by level rather that what i just had it on, in addition to reselecting items that i just had unselected before setting one of the entry as 'ignore updates for this package'.
4. It would be nice to have 'ignore updates for this and related packages' as it be nice to not have to set each of them individually and have to wait again and again as it refreshes the full list.
5. It would be nice if the ignore list was in an easier place than in the preferences, like a menu button called 'ignore list'. Even if this isnt done, it would be nice to have a 'remove list' button to remove them all, as there is no multi-select option.