Why Brasero?

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Why Brasero?

Postby BozoDel on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I just noticed I'm not the only one having trouble with Brasero. Why is it the default. Or maybe, it's because, we're using Brasero 3.2, while their site says the last stable version is 3.0!

Why don't we try 3.0 then?
BozoDel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why Brasero?

Postby DrHu on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:33 pm

The distributor chooses the apps to include for whichever reason or preference they may have.
--if we want our own choices we have to customize an installation or create our own distribution or use source files only, and try ignoring distributor desktop customization or window manager decisions.

We can always pick our own choice, and usually quite easily
    Sometimes made more difficult by apps and versions available in the distributors repository selections
    --but there are always work-arounds for that condition..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby BozoDel on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 am

Yeah, I know. But I came here to suggest a change in the distribution. Of course I'm not in position to decide anything...
BozoDel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby veggen on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:32 am

Any good suggestions on Gnome based alternatives? I'm shopping for one...
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Postby AlbertP on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:10 am

BozoDel wrote:I just noticed I'm not the only one having trouble with Brasero. Why is it the default. Or maybe, it's because, we're using Brasero 3.2, while their site says the last stable version is 3.0!

The version number of Brasero has jumped to 3.2 because it is part of Gnome 3.2 which is used on Mint 12. Older versions also had problems - this is not fixed by simply switching between 3.0 and 3.2.

You can use Xfburn. That's from Xfce but it requires installing far less libraries. K3b requires 60 MB of downloads and 200 MB of disk space for its KDE dependencies. But Xfburn requires only one megabyte of Xfce downloads so it's fine to use it on Gnome desktops. It does not add menu entries for other Xfce programs, like K3b does with Nepomuk.
I have not tried Xfburn myself, for me K3b works fine. I have enough free space on the disk in most computers so don't care about installed KDE software. Xfburn is a rather light program, K3b can do more but is perhaps a heavier program (apart from the dependency issues which I already mentioned).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby eanfrid on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 am

Have a look on viewtopic.php?f=47&t=106394

It turns out that the only good solution under Gnome is still... Xfburn. No fancies but it works.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas