Suggestion: Creating desktop shortcuts

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Suggestion: Creating desktop shortcuts

Postby newfy78 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:55 pm

Suggestion to the powers that be :)

Windows user my whole life but I'm loving Mint.

One of my pet peeves though is the round about way to set up a shortcut.

In windows if you drag using your right mouse button you have the option to copy, move or create a shortcut to the directory / executable. It would be great if Mint offered the same.

I know this seems like a small thing but having to create a new launcher and type in the "command / location" is a turn off to windows users (not to mention most of the computer users out there won't understand how to do it).

If the goal is to offer a windows replacement, features like this will go a long way.
newfy78
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suggestion: Creating desktop shortcuts

Postby Dennis99 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Am I missing your point completely?
You can drag and drop programs from the mint menu onto the desktop by left mouse click and hold.
Dennis99
Level 2
Level 2

Postby newfy78 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Yes you are missing the point. Applications aren't a problem.

I want to have the choice to drag and drop folders / files and choose:
1. copy
2. move
3. create a shortcut

To create a shortcut to a folder you have to create a "launcher" and enter the "name" and "command" (not to mention the available icons don't include a regular file folder or disk icon).

It's a pain. On top of that most computer users won't understand how to do it (non linux users or computer savy). The goal of Mint, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, etc is to break into the main stream. Most computer users don't understand directories and how they work. Having to type in "file:///home/newfy/Downloads" to create a shortcut would not fall under "user friendly".

As a side note I had to also download icons to get a "file folder" picture for my shortcuts. It would be nice if the default list of icons for the "launcher" included the common items stored on a computer (e.g. file folder, disk drive, music files, video files, web, open office, etc).
newfy78
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Yes you are missing the point. Applications aren't a problem.

No, your point is irrelevant, you just haven't realized it yet.
To create a shortcut to a folder you have to create a "launcher" and enter the "name" and "command" (not to mention the available icons don't include a regular file folder or disk icon).

No, actually all you have to do is right-click the desired folder, file, app, and click "Make Link"
Icons are located in general folders such as /usr/share/pixmaps; /usr/share/icons, installed icon packs are stored in /home/[name]/.icons.
As a side note I had to also download icons to get a "file folder" picture for my shortcuts. It would be nice if the default list of icons for the "launcher" included the common items stored on a computer (e.g. file folder, disk drive, music files, video files, web, open office, etc).

Most are. Right-click on MintMenu, edit menu, select the properties of any app, click on the icon and it will open the directory it is in.

Linux is both similar and dissimilar to Windows. Not everything is going to be exactly the same, that's the point. Research and learning is the key, do not automatically assume its a system fault when you cannot complete a task :) Get out there and figure it out :P
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby newfy78 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Thanks.

I didn't see the "make link" option but I'll look again when I get home.

I was using Ubuntu first and it wasn't there so I probably just overlooked it in Mint.
newfy78
Level 1
Level 1

Postby diego1188 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:29 pm

Left-button drag and press "Alt" before dropping... you'll get the same move-copy-link menu you find in windows. :wink:
diego1188
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas