Linux Mint 5 KDE - New Theme

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Linux Mint 5 KDE - New Theme

Postby LostOverThere on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:14 am

Linux Mint 4 KDE was a great release, only the theme really let it down. Look at almost any review, the reviewer is obviously surprisingly pleased with the distribution but very disappointed with the theme! Why are they surprisingly pleased though? Well, the first thing they see is the theme, and I guarantee that hundreds of people did not download Mint 4 KDE because of the theme. This isn't allowed fellers! A great distribution needs a great theme! And right now, the GNOME edition has a great theme and will be including even better themes for its next release.

Sorry to dictate this and I'm sorry if its already been said or already been done, but we really need a theme to make Linux Mint 5 KDE the perfect KDE distribution.

Lets get the ball rolling!

A Good theme should live up to its name. People know what theme they're getting by the name of the distribution. Linux Mint. I instantly think of cool, fresh themes with cool fresh colours! Light-Middle Blues and Green come to mind. Also, note many of the reviewers were not impressed by the dark theme, I too agree with that. Dark themes are depressing and pessimistic. (In my opinion of course)

This was my wallpaper in Cassandra. Notice how bright and fresh it is. Its smooth and stylish at the same time, and what does is it? Fresh, bright, and cool. You can see the mint in the wallpaper.

The icons need to be unique, not the standard KDE icons. Something Tangoish, but staying true to Linux Mint.

So, what does everyone think?
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 5 KDE - New Theme

Postby Rob Loach on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:26 pm

I like having the background transparency in the panel. Maybe this could become a part of the default look within Linux Mint in the future?
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sokraates on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 am

I second the thoughts on the theme. There's too much black for my taste. Though probably a change of the alone wallpaper would help. KDE4 doesn't look too bad with all those black panels but it's default wallpaper doesn't have so much black. It's rather dark but it works.

Also making the logo in usplash bigger would be nice. It's a shame to have the beautiful logo drawn so small.

On a sidenote: does anyone know how one can use the default Kubuntu theme in Darya? Wallpaper, KDM and the spalshscreen are there but I can't find the Kubuntu windecs etc (the stuff you change in systemsettings -> appearance).
Sokraates

Postby LostOverThere on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:05 am

Agreed, the transparency was fantastic. I wish I could do art work, otherwise I'd be designing already for Mint KDE. :)
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby LostOverThere on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:54 am

So...anyone wanna comment?
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ed@Mint on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:55 am

Well, you want a comment ? Here you are :wink:

I personally don't agree about the fact that Daryna KDE default theme would not be OK.
My desktop looks 90% like the default one... no icons, no useless stuff, just beautiful :)
I just changed the wallpaper to one Jernau made : http://jernau.deviantart.com/art/Carbon-Mint-KDE-Reflection-80446757
(which looks almost 100% like the default one ^^)

My desktop :
http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,20080327144110,my_desktop_daryna_4.png.html
(damn i still don't know how to embed an image in here :? )

(useless post inside :lol: )

Just to speak about the upcoming Elyssa theme, well, i just hope they'll keep the "no icon by default" rule, and we'll see how it looks...
And i hope they won't go for "playskool" stuff (sorry LostOverThere, but i'm not fond of yours :P )

Ok, i'll end here.
Peace
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby LostOverThere on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:24 am

Fair point, By the way, I don't like the icons in my screenshot, they do look quite Khildish, which is why Mint needs its on style of icons. Failing that, copy and pasting some sort of Tango style.
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Zwopper on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:41 am

My desktop at the moment looks like this:
Click preview for larger image!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby locutus on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:22 pm

I think you make up your own theme anyway no matter what the default is. I spent a long time getting my theme to be "just right" -- for me! Nobody else has to like it.

I have the tasty menu and the kicker panel up top so it doesn't interfere with the leopard-like dock at the bottom. I like a clean desktop with no icons on it. The _only_ thing I put on my desktop is a superkaramba theme that monitors my cpu's.
Attachments
snapshot3.png
snapshot3.png (93.94 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Zwopper on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:03 am

I'm using the KDE-Mint logo that I modified as icon for the tasty menu, looks good I think.
080331 - MintMenu-button.png
080331 - MintMenu-button.png (58.8 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby LostOverThere on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Hmm, I still think I prefer the green mint logo that is in the forum header only because of its simplicity. But yours is still awesome, very very professional.
Last edited by LostOverThere on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby deadguy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:18 pm

Zwopper wrote:I'm using the KDE-Mint logo that I modified as icon for the tasty menu, looks good I think.

I think it looks great!

so great in fact that I did the same :D
kde nice6.png
kde nice6.png (37 KiB) Viewed 2911 times

hope you don't mind Zwopper!!

Thanks,

Deadguy
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Zwopper on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:23 am

deadguy wrote:
Zwopper wrote:I'm using the KDE-Mint logo that I modified as icon for the tasty menu, looks good I think.

I think it looks great!

so great in fact that I did the same :D
kde nice6.png

hope you don't mind Zwopper!!

Thanks,

Deadguy

Ofcourse I don't mind, I'm honored!
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby tank116 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:28 pm

i love the darker themes thay are easy on the eyes when u have to work on a machine all day the bright colours make my eyes strain but thats my 2 cents. I also agree the the default install should have no icons on the desktop if i want icons on it ill put them there my self. but i would at least like one dark theme resembling the the default in the KDE CE edition the only thing i have changed is the wall paper to the agustmint504-kde and the redshift v2 for firefox.
tank116
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:05 pm

tank116 wrote:i love the darker themes thay are easy on the eyes when u have to work on a machine all day the bright colours make my eyes strain but thats my 2 cents. I also agree the the default install should have no icons on the desktop if i want icons on it ill put them there my self. but i would at least like one dark theme resembling the the default in the KDE CE edition the only thing i have changed is the wall paper to the agustmint504-kde and the redshift v2 for firefox.

I totally second this !
I find Daryna default theme very pleasing...
Dark/grey themes are relaxing, sober and look pro to my tastes. (i'm not talking about *all black* themes don't misunderstand me :wink: )
I like a desktop without any icons. Tasty meny and system menu give you access to everything in 2 clicks.
(And, by the way, putting ugly icons over Zwopper and Jernau art would be much like heresy ! :lol: )
So the only thing i do is switching wallpapers since there are so much great ones on these forums... But i keep coming back to metal mint or carbon mint which are really close to Daryna's default...

Anyway, themes go by and if Boo feels like a change for Elyssa, then i trust him.
And with the upcoming mint art team, we can just hope the best for the future :)
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jernau on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:40 am

ed@Mint wrote:(And, by the way, putting ugly icons over Zwopper and Jernau art would be much like heresy ! :lol: )

:lol: :oops: :mrgreen:

ed@Mint wrote:So the only thing i do is switching wallpapers since there are so much great ones on these forums... But i keep coming back to metal mint or carbon mint which are really close to Daryna's default...

I feel I can admit that my wallpaper is also still set to Carbon Mint (version 4). In a way I'm slightly disappointed that I haven't bettered my first wallpaper, thereby proving that it was just beginner's luck! :D
Jernau
Level 5
Level 5

Postby McLovin on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:18 am

Ok, there is a problem with setting a default theme, looks are too subjective, just look at this post, some ppl love the default theme, others hate it, it's all a matter of what you like. The Mint Art-Team has been formed, and we will be working making new artwork for all the releases, and trying to get some additional themes into the repos so they can be installed quickly and easily, but we need some artist to do this, as of yet, there are only 3 of us. The idea of making the default theme something else, is just too difficult though, if you make it too flashy, some ppl will love, some will hate, just like the current one.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ed@Mint on Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:33 am

Then i think the solution, for a distro's default theme, is to remain clean and sober.
Once again, "clean and sober" is a subjective thing, but i think the default theme achieved that better than a "flashy spanky" one...

Just my thougts though
cheers
ed
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Zwopper on Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:45 am

Let's gather up a few and have a vote and we'll see.
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas