New idea

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

New idea

Postby spdaniel9q on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi guys!

Well I'm new here. I'm currently downloading Linux Mint, since it looks promising. I did have Ubuntu installed before, and it was great, except the fact that I had no sound on Ubuntu 8, so I'll give this distro a try.

I've got an idea, that could make Linux Mint really awesome. You know that when you have a program to install from source (tar.gz2, etc) you usually have to extract, ./configure, etc. Well, my idea is to make an program with a cool GUI that automates this process, making installations much easier. It could also look for missing dependencies and automatically install 'em.

I'm quite sure this would make Linux much easier for everyone. If it's already done, I'm sure it's not well advertised XD
spdaniel9q
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New idea

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:08 pm

spdaniel9q,

As a brand new Linux user, (you must be or you wouldn't have had insurmountable problems with sound on Ubuntu), why would you want to compile your own programs from source anyway? There are very few programs out there that aren't in a repository somewhere or, if you look, you can't find an appropriate .deb file to use elsewhere. If you are compiling something so new that it hasn't even been packaged yet, you are playing with fire. And you should expect breakage and bugs.

If you want to learn to compile, that's great, but you don't need a GUI to do it. In fact, you will learn more about what you are actually doing without a GUI.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby spdaniel9q on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:29 pm

(you must be or you wouldn't have had insurmountable problems with sound on Ubuntu)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/200338

XD I'm not the only one, but..

For example: Flash player for Firefox has to be installed by compiling it (atleast for ubuntu 7.10), which new users like I was (I know how to compile now anyway :P ) could really be useful.
And just a quick question, does Firefox here in Linux Mint has Flash pre-installed? Just asking.

But yeah, compiling when you're new isn't good. (I did it and learned the hard way :P )
spdaniel9q
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 pm

spdaniel9q,

Gosh, my memory is failing me ... again. Yes I think flash was already installed, but I am not sure. If it wasn't installed, it certainly wasn't a problem doing so or I would remember. I know I didn't have to compile it.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby midknight on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:43 pm

At least a helpfile for compiling would be nice.
From elegance came chicken!
midknight
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muskratmx on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 am

Actually there is a debian package for converting packages from other formats into a .deb, it's callen alien. It will not do all formats but it increases, that 20,000 debian packages but quite a bit.

How come you doing, source (gz) with Ubuntu anyway?

Even with mint, you need to learn to edit sources.list file. One I always have to add is skype, because it's not in a repo any where, but skype has a deb repo of thier own. Another repo you might want is debian-multimedia, they most like will have your flash.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby LostOverThere on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:12 pm

They already have Kompile for compiling things from source anyway. It rarely works too. :roll:
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sdim on Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

I think spdaniel9q has expressed something that a lot of other users are thinking of suggesting.
Yes,an automatic program for installing .tar.gz and .tar.gz2 packages would most certainly prove to be very useful and time-saving.
There also exist some tar packages that cannot be compiled through the standard procedures,something that can be rather tiresome for those who are willing to give compiling a try.

Dear developers,give it some thought.
I strongly believe it would bring a lot of people to Linux.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 16 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Really, I am trying to understand. Help me here. There are over 25,000 programs and libraries already set up for Ubuntu and derivatives in the Ubuntu repositories alone. There are thousands of additional .deb programs in the Debian repositories. The .deb package is probably the most common package out there, with the possible exception of the .rpm. Not sure which there are more of. You can find a .deb package for just about anything that is available. If that isn't enough you can use the Alien package installer and add .rpms and several others to the mix.

I can understand if you want to learn to compile from source as a learning experience. If thats the case, you don't want a GUI. You want to be able to see what you are doing. What you seem to be saying is; I want to learn to do long division, but I want to use a calculator instead of pencil and paper to do it.

I just don't get it. Just doesn't compute for me.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Lantesh on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:28 pm

I think what the original poster here is saying is that he wants to learn to compile, but his skill level requires him to need a GUI. That being said I have yet to be in a situation where I've had to resort to learning to compile. I have always been able to find a ready made package for the things I want. I have however had to convert .rpm to .deb when a .deb version did not exist. Alien is a fantastic tool for this as was already stated, although it does not always work 100%. A great example of a program I converted from .rpm is 4L (LaCie LightScribe Labeler). I was not able to find a .deb version of this anywhere, but Alien had no issue converting it to .deb, and I now use it to burn all of my lightscribe labels.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ed@Mint on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:10 pm

I totally agree with Fred.

Compiling with a GUI is almost a nonsense... :roll:
If there's an error in the compilation process, no GUI will help you better understand the cause of it.

On top of that, almost every package that comes out as .tar.gz contain a readme file to explain how to compile it.
And, in the end, is it so hard to run './configure; make; make install' ?

If, as Lantesh said, he wants to learn how to compile, then GUIs are a bad idea...
CLI is *always* the best way to get to see how things really work from the inside.
There is clearly a conceptual misunderstanding here i think.

So, i think the final word here is : get a deb or open your terminal :wink:

cheers
ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby muskratmx on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:56 am

Flash player for Firefox has to be installed by compiling it (atleast for ubuntu 7.10)

Flash Player isn't open source, where do you get the source code?

Debian has an open source flash-media-player called gnash, and a mozilla-plugin-gnash, that are .deb, so why would anybody want a newbie to compile?

If you want to compile, you would first learn the CLI interface, after which, this disscussion would be mute. You would be taking our stand in the fact that a GUI isn't the one and only. Sometimes GUIs can be quite intimidating, especially when they are quick and dirty written apps, and don't really have a large following.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas