Virtualisation section in forums

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Does Linux Mint need a "Virtualization" forum?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Yes
96%
No
No votes
Maybe
4%
Virtualiwhat?
No votes
I'm too smart for that
No votes

Total votes: 26

sivel27

Re: Virtualization section in forums

Post by sivel27 »

Hello all,

i also agree this would be advantageous. the "labor of love" by powerhouse and others pretty much deserves it in my eyes.

thanks,
sivel27
Tz2001

Post by Tz2001 »

I agree that this would be useful. I stumbled across the thread entirely by accident the first time and it took me a while to find it again. I had assumed it was in the gaming section as people were posting about game performance in the topic. It would be useful to put a link to the topic in the gaming forum, at least.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Tz2001 wrote:I agree that this would be useful. I stumbled across the thread entirely by accident the first time and it took me a while to find it again. I had assumed it was in the gaming section as people were posting about game performance in the topic. It would be useful to put a link to the topic in the gaming forum, at least.
I'm at a loss - where do you want to put a link, and to where? From the gaming section to this "voting thread"?
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

powerhouse wrote:
Tz2001 wrote:I agree that this would be useful. I stumbled across the thread entirely by accident the first time and it took me a while to find it again. I had assumed it was in the gaming section as people were posting about game performance in the topic. It would be useful to put a link to the topic in the gaming forum, at least.
I'm at a loss - where do you want to put a link, and to where? From the gaming section to this "voting thread"?
Oh well, my brain is showing cracks. Of course you mean from the gaming section to the how-to, I believe. Well, I did link to it in one of the relevant threads.
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Virtualisation section in forums

Post by catilley1092 »

I agree that a Virtualisation section is needed, in part due to the Fact that while many LInux Mint users are running the OS for everything, there's others who has no choice (employees required to have Windows & MS Office). Dual booting may be OK for some & on the hardware level a better choice. Each OS has full resources of the computer.

However for some, this can be aggravating, having to switch from one OS to the other. Why not have it all in one package & have a support section for it? I can go along with the idea that the primary Host be Mint, due to the fact that this is a Mint forum. Because usually, then there's an issue with a Mint VM on a Windows install, the underlying issue likely has more to do with Windows, or the VM software being incorrectly configured. This would be a Windows issue, as the outcome of a Mint VM is dependent on the Windows host install & I'd never consider posting a Windows issue on a Linux forum.

Take me for instance. I'm a Moderator on a Windows 8 forum, an Advisor on BC Forums & frequently have to assist with both Linux & Windows threads. Linux Mint 17 is my main OS (& has been for 5 years, since Gloria) & the one from which I'm typing this post. Yet many needs assistance with XP or Windows 7/8/8/1 (few Vista threads these days), Virtualisation is a powerful tool that can get a lot done. In fact, the Workstations of today are designed to get the production out of one employee that just 10 years ago took 3 to 4. Due to Virtualisation, one can have many things going all at once, the only limiting factor being the underlying hardware, the more powerful, the more production from the Workstation.

My point being, through running VM's, I can assist with Linux Mint (& other Linux OS's, MX-14 is being pushed as an XP replacement, having a non-PAE version), as well as various Windows OS's.

Linux MInt, likely the most popular of all Linux versions, which slid past Ubuntu in 2011 on DistroWatch, is a highly used OS not just for personal use, but also work & school. This forum is the frontline of support, though we at BC Forums gladly assists MInt & other Linux users where possible, this forum is the #1 support choice for many Mint users & for good reason. Most everything, from beginning for rookies to advanced topics for professionals, are covered here.

Virtualisation is worthy of having it's own section of the Linux Mint Forum. Hopefully it'll happen.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

@Cat: Thanks for the support.
drkfalzar

Post by drkfalzar »

I joined this forum and first dabbled in Mint due to that virtualization post. I definitely support the idea of a place where we can discuss and document such endeavors.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Virtualization forum has been created for the main edition support, and can be found here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=231

Anybody wanting to help out, topics you think should be moved to that forum please PM me the links to the topics. We created another forum today also (for IRC), so there are a lot of topics to find and move to new forums. Check whether your topic has already been moved there, and otherwise PM me so I'll add them to the list to be moved.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

xenopeek wrote:Virtualization forum has been created for the main edition support, and can be found here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=231

Anybody wanting to help out, topics you think should be moved to that forum please PM me the links to the topics. We created another forum today also (for IRC), so there are a lot of topics to find and move to new forums. Check whether your topic has already been moved there, and otherwise PM me so I'll add them to the list to be moved.
Thanks!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”