EXT4

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

EXT4

Postby curtiswtaylorjr on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:59 pm

I just read an artical on ext4 and would like to know if there is a plan in place to implement this new and improved file system. Here is the information I found on the suse linux FAQ:

Background

Ext4, or Fourth Extended File System is an enhanced version of the popular Ext3 journaling file system used in Linux. It was created because the previous Ext3 file system was at its limits in both maximum supported file system size and features set. As of Linux kernel version 2.6.19, it is officially merged into the mainstream kernel.

Features

Physical Block Journaling
Tree-based directory indexes (H-trees - Hashed trees)
Allocate On Flush (aka Delayed Allocation)
Extents
64-bit file system
Online file system growth

Technical Information

Development of the Ext4 file system started in 2006 and was officially revealed by Andrew Morton. It was introduced by him as a compatible improvement to the Ext3 file system with modern features like Allocate On Flush, Extents and 64-bit file system. Ext4, like previous versions of the Ext file systems family, is backwards compatible with Ext3. However, if Extents are used in a Ext4 file system (disabled by default), it will break the backwards compatibility and one can no longer mount it as Ext3.

Like Ext3, Ext4 supports three journaling modes, writeback, ordered, and journal and one can switch between them using the data= mount option at file system mount time.

The new features set was introduced to cope with the limitations presented in its predecessor, Ext3. The ever growing data capacity of hard disks are a huge issue for Ext3 as this version of the Ext file systems family supports only a maximum file system size of 32 Terabytes but today this amount of disk storage space is common in high-end server systems and other enterprise class machines. For this reason, Ext4 was extended to be a 64-bit file system so it can scale up to 1 Exabyte in file system size (depends on the block size at creation time).

Other major improvements over Ext3 are Extents and Allocate On Flush. An extent in a file system is a continuous area of storage, reserved to a file. When writing to a file, a whole extent is allocated. When writing again to the same file, the data continues where the previous write left off. This technique reduces external file system fragmentation (external fragmentation occurs when data in a file system is scattered all over the partition thus making the disk heads seek a lot in order to gather the required information).

The other major feature in Ext4, Allocate On Flush, also tends to reduce external file system fragmentation and speeds up overall file system performance. Allocate On Flush reserves space for data that has to be written to disk but is holding the data itself in memory until it is flushed to disk because of a memory pressure, a kernel flush call or because some application has issued the "sync" system call. This has the effect of batching together disk writes into larger chunks. Allocate On Flush also reduces CPU usage and keeps allocations contiguous when there are several files growing at the same time.

curtiswtaylorjr
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: EXT4

Postby Fred on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Ext4 is coming, and it should bring with it a number of advantages, as your post pointed out.

It is still in the experimental stage however. One of Mint's prime goals is to remain solid and stable. I can't and wouldn't speak for the Mint team, but I would be very surprised to see ext4 available in Mint for at least two more cycles.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sundayrefugee on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Aye. ext4 is still *very* experimental and buggy at this point. What you're reading is a mission statement more than anything. It's certainly not release ready at this point. I would be surprised if *every* distro *didn't* offer it *when* it's release ready, whenever in the future this is, but that point is not now, as long as there is a clean upgrade path as in the transition from 2 to 3. But right now, it's use at your own risk, on a system you are perfectly happy to lose every ounce of data you have on it at any given time, for no good reason whatsoever ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ferdil on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 pm

-1, wait till it's stable.
Don't blame me for my bad english. This is not my native language.

Are the decisions that you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Ferdil
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas