Distros to look at

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Distros to look at

Postby Guest on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm always looking for something new, and in my round of distros I found some that I think that the Mint Art group should look at them. I understand that some of the distros have the backup of a big company, but anyway is nice to see what this guys have in mind.

First of all I'm talking about the new OpenSuse 11.0, which is in Beta status but I toook a look to the new installer and it's just stunning! The kde looks prety good, but they need to work a little bit more in the Gnome, because it's pretty plain gnome.
Second I took a look at Mandriva 2008 Spring Edition, another distro that has a big backup, but anyway without any revolutionary idea made the installation much more atractive and the desktop loks atractive as well, again the KDE version it's much better than Gnome.

Are we seeing a pattern here??? :)

The last one I want to mention is Mepis 7.0, which is developed by a guy in West Virginia, and again the installation process is very well done.

I hope that Linux Mint will improve in that aspect as well.

I still love mint because as Ubuntu is trying to break the mold and add new features in every new release of their distro to make it a better product for the user.

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Distros to look at

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 pm

again the KDE version it's much better than Gnome.

Are we seeing a pattern here??? :)

Maybe - on the other hand Mint has "taken Gnome to a new level" as some PR person might say
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas