Add an option to auto-update apps installed with MintInstall

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Add an option to auto-update apps installed with MintInstall

Postby Ferdil on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:17 pm

MintUpdate removes repositories after they've been used. I think that a newb would prefer that his apps were auto-updated. At least you should add an option somewhere to enable autoupdating of applications. Something like "do you want that your applications are auto-updated?" "Default: no" (or whatever).
In my opinion apps are should be always updated. Why should I reinstall a .mint file to have an application updated? :?:
Don't blame me for my bad english. This is not my native language.

Are the decisions that you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Ferdil
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Add an option to auto-update apps installed with MintInstall

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:01 pm

You have misunderstood something
mintUpdate does not remove repositories
mintInstall sometimes uses "foreign" repositories when installing and then removes them. Leaving them in sorces.list could cause severe problems
Unfortunately the result is that some apps are hard to update. mintInstall is a separate application and if my memory serves me right clem intends to work on it when Elyssa is ready
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ferdil (forgot to login) on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Husse wrote:You have misunderstood something
mintUpdate does not remove repositories
mintInstall sometimes uses "foreign" repositories when installing and then removes them. Leaving them in sorces.list could cause severe problems
Unfortunately the result is that some apps are hard to update. mintInstall is a separate application and if my memory serves me right clem intends to work on it when Elyssa is ready

Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. if MintInstall uses some extra repositories, then it removes them and the apps coming from those repositories will not be updated. I think that .mint files should add repositories permanently and remove them when you uninstall the application.

Sorry for my previous post, it was very badly written. And excuse me if sometimes I write something incomprehensible, but, as I wrote in my signature, English is not my native language.
Ferdil (forgot to login)

Postby Husse on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:09 pm

English is not my native language.

Neither is it mine :)
I think your english is quite good
The reason the repos are removed after the install is that they can cause problems - if you temporarily use a debian repo and let it "stay" you could get problems
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Ferdil on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:03 am

Husse wrote:
English is not my native language.

Neither is it mine :)
I think your english is quite good
The reason the repos are removed after the install is that they can cause problems - if you temporarily use a debian repo and let it "stay" you could get problems

What kind of problems? I never had problems with extra deb repos. Anyway, people will periodically update their software. Why the system doesn't update them by default, when the user will do that manually anyhow? Maybe the updates should be level 4 or 5.
Even if they cause problems, I would still like to have a little checkbox or yes/no dialog or whatever to keep the extra repositories in the sources.list, not enabled by default.
Don't blame me for my bad english. This is not my native language.

Are the decisions that you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Ferdil
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas