domestic & professional versions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
curracruisers

domestic & professional versions

Post by curracruisers »

I would like to see a domestic version of Mint with cut down startup apps for boot speed, an absolute minimum set of applications that are common to domestic users. With only one of each app, best all round app for it's task. Domestic users usually want Office(LibreOffice), Web browser(Firefox) (inc. social, Youtube etc, download helper, built into browser) Email(Thunderbird), Photos(Gthumb), Video(VLC), Music(Guayadeque) plus (converting, ripping, burning), also all the codecs built-in.

Also a professional version fully loaded for the experts.

The reason for this is, I supply to the home user (most experts build their own), I spend a lot of time adding and removing apps so the user can just sit down and use it without getting confused about which app does what and which one to use. Leave Software Manager in so they can add to it as they grow with Linux.

A domestic version would do this.
Orbmiser

Re: domestic & professional versions

Post by Orbmiser »

Code: Select all

[b][i]"an absolute minimum set of applications that are common to domestic users."[/i][/b]
And what is that exactly? As to your list of apps

"Domestic users usually want Office(LibreOffice), Web browser(Firefox) (inc. social, Youtube etc, download helper, built into browser) Email(Thunderbird), Photos(Gthumb), Video(VLC), Music(Guayadeque) plus (converting, ripping, burning), also all the codecs built-in."
I use Firefox but know many others prefer Chrome. My friends about half due the Facebook,Twitter,Google+ thing and other half including myself considers it an abomination. VLC I would consider to much for a lot of basic users and found totem to more liking to newbies.

Guayadeque never even heard of it. And there are a few choices that are like it Clementine or Banshee since it is included and fits my needs with less clutter then the one you mentioned. As are many choices http://lifehacker.com/5868759/the-best- ... -for-linux

And who is to say one for everyone. As found the simplest applications equates too less balking from mainstream users.
"plus (converting, ripping, burning),"

As far as I'm concerned this one of linux biggest failures. With a hodge-podge of different programs doing some but not all that you mentioned in one application. Brasero default is sorely lacking. And other options are less appetizing to the general public. Many end with just install K3b which means crossing over to Kde land meaning additional bloat for kde packages on that Live CD. And still not happy myself with linux dropping the ball on this area.

The best way is to google "Linux create your own Live CD" since you have particular requirements that may not meet all others requirements. And there is no way I would think that the Linux Mint Team would even want to get involved with that type of branching Distro's to keep track of. As there would never be an agreement on what is basic apps to include. 1 persons great is another's 1 frowns.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”